Sunday, October 30, 2011

Sunday .....!

Here I am yesterday (in my "outdoor studio") with my gesso-ing project.  I gessoed a 36"x36" canvas for my newest project along with a stack of smaller canvas panels. It took me hours, but I like doing tasks like this almost as well as painting paintings (especially when it is not raining...and I said almost).

This is a painting I touched up today. I made some corrections to the window and the lamp. I like this painting because it reminds me of an English Mystery (Colonel Mustard...in the Library....with the lead pipe). It didn't start out to be that way, but it took on that life of it's own somehow.

Painting: Celeste Bergin, Library, oil on 9 x 12 canvas panel


9 comments:

B Boylan said...

Celeste, a perfect title for a perfect painting. I just love your pieces with that strong emotional contrast and moody soft edges. It's yummy to look at! Sooooo Celeste like!

Carrie H. said...

This room in the painting looks other world, from a Spanish villa maybe....

graziano tessarolo said...

Ciao Celeste .. prepare the canvas with gesso sometimes offers really beautiful and serene moments where the mind travels with freedom and imagination to new horizons and many exciting projects ...

conservativelybohemian said...

Ooh, it reminds me of that sense too, Celeste!! Your work always imbues a mood, something that I don't often feel in other works. I never can figure out how you do that! Beautiful piece indeed! And thank you for the compliment on the lettering work on the sketchbook.

Jane said...

So this is how gesso-ing is done! Thanks for showing, I always like to see procedures.
Your painting is great and you are right , there is an english, intimate atmosphere about it, the colors are fab.

r garriott said...

What a gorgeous little painting. A wonderful sense of mystery.

I used to build all my own canvases and found it very soothing to gesso. Not so much that I miss it, though (;

Cindy Michaud said...

I will keep you in mind the next time i pull out the boards and the gesso.....paint, sand, paint, sand...it's all attitude, no?

hw (hallie) farber said...

Mysterious Colonel Mustard--a gem of a painting. And I like the B/W from the previous day.

-Don said...

"Library" does have a mysterious, who done it, feel to it, doen't it? I remember when you posted this before, and you know what? I still like it a lot. Nice tweaks.

As for gesso-ing canvases, I've always found that what seems to be such a mundane project really helps to clear my head and prepare me for future works. It's almost as if I'm gesso-ing my psyche as I gesso the canvas...

-Don