Thursday, October 13, 2011

Thursday!


Yesterday, while I was in a waiting room. I sketched some people. I used the "Elegant Writer" pen.  I've told you before how much fun it is to add water to the the Elegant Writer because the ink "bleeds" really easily. Well, in the waiting room I didn't have any water with me, ...so I spit into a tissue and used it for my sketch. (I know. right?)

All of this reminded me of an artist I met when I was a graphic designer in the early 80's. He was a super talented artist who was known as "The Frog". He was a celebrity of sorts because he was often involved in high end projects and he had been featured in CA magazine. The Frog was always drawing with a beautiful fountain pen into a handmade sketchbook.  He would be talking to you, sketching away..then suddenly (without warning) he would spit: "pfft pfft!" directly on the page and smear it all around with his finger. I know, this sounds revolting, but his drawings were divine. Here, these many years later, I find myself spitting in my book too (not in quite the same way, but still).

When I went to research the Frog (Errol Etienne) for this blog post...I was saddened to learn he died this year. He was a bigger than life talented eccentric who lived and breathed ART. He called me "Betty" because he couldn't remember my name and he thought Betty was close enough. RIP: Frog.

Top Photo: Sketch, Celeste Bergin, woman in waiting room, ink on 6 x 9 paper

Errol H.R. Etienne, "The Frog" (1941-2011)

12 comments:

Linda Popple said...

Love your sketch! The Frog sounds like he was a special person. I like his story and especially his name. Thanks for sharing, Betty!

Jane said...

Euhhhm, the image you create in my head is not so very appealing..but the result is great :-)

Dan Kent said...

I can see all the folks in the waiting room recoiling when you spit onto the paper - must have left only this one guy to draw! I remember using the condensation on the outside of a drink once - spitting, though, I'll have to remember that.

I searched on line and got to see some of Etienne's ink and watercolors - and his promotional story book - so creative and beautiful! But now I have to get ready for work..ugh.

Libby Fife said...

That sounds like a Seinfeld episode or something! Too funny. (And sad that he passed.)

Hey, Moms do the same things with their children when they don't have a Kleenex or something. Needs must or whatever the expression is.

Great sketch too:)

Janelle Goodwin said...

Kind of interesting that your DNA becomes part of the sketch. Makes it that much more personal. I admire artists who are constantly sketching and drawing. Love the fact that you sketch while in the waiting room, Celeste!

Celeste Bergin said...

thanks Linda, Jane, Dan, Libby and Janelle! You know, I was much more demure about by spiitting than the Frog was! lol--I just sort of licked a tissue and no one saw this..lol. Thanks for your comments!

-Don said...

Some artists just have a different way of expressing themselves. (pun intended) Great post.

-Don

billspaintingmn said...

Gives new meaning to 'spit in yer eye'

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

I love the look.
I love the way you can create value with spit and ink.
I use to stand in the stores with a piece of scrap paper testing different pens to see if they had the right smear factor if I would use spit to create the value.
Great story along with your sketch .....

hw (hallie) farber said...

What's wrong with a little spit? I like your sketch and enjoyed reading about your friend. That's a great photo.

Christopher Dayton said...

This is a great story :) I am Errol's son Christopher, and it always makes me happy to find little stories people share about dad! Thanks Betty! (Hehe)

Christopher Dayton said...

I am Errol's son Christopher, and it is wonderful to find stories of people who got to experience some time with dad. Thanks so much for the post Betty! (Lol)

C