Sunday, November 20, 2011

Leftover palette painting

At the end of the week the paint on my pochade palette is sort of a mess, contaminated here and there and fairly dried out. Before I clean up the entire palette in anticipation of the new week, it's always fun for me to try to paint something with just the leftover paint. Waste not, want not, frugality is "in"!  I painted this in my studio from a prior plein air painting. I learned this leftover paint/painting idea from the very talented Michael Orwick.

Painting: Celeste Bergin, End of the day. oil on 8x8 stretched canvas

10 comments:

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

Bright painting full of light.
I like the tip ... thanks for sharing.

Carolyn Rondthaler said...

This is "fabulous." So many leftover palette paintings end up a little dark. You did a great job. Love it!

conservativelybohemian said...

Love the simple beauty of this piece, Celeste. It lends to a great serenity for me.

Sheryl Anthony said...

The leftovers must have included burnt sienna, am I right? I like how this turned out.

Jeanette said...

I often use the end of palette paint to create something. I hate wasting paint.

But I love this one. The cranberry landscape is wonderful, very Thanksgiving Day appropriate!

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

How did manage to avoid a mudbath?! The light in this is great and comes from your many hours of observation and diligent plein air work!

Dave Starr said...

The play of grays against warm is effective! I like this straightforward approach. Maybe having very few colors is what I should try next. Do you ever use premixed grays or something like gamblin grays

billspaintingmn said...

Good to the last drop!(The painting, and the paint!)

I know some folks mix it all together,(leftovers) and use it as a gray tone base. They call it the mother, and can add any color as they need during the painting. This gives a uniform look and keeps
things in check.

Michael Lindstrom said...

I love the colors in this! Tremendous use of scrap paint and has a wonderful harmony about it. Deep and cheery at the same time, grat job!

Sadeu said...

the light of this precious landscape enchants to me, Celeste : )