Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Life painting session --"K"

Someone gave me an Art Alternatives "natural linen" canvas panel a while back. I decided to use it today in life painting. The model was lit from above and to the right, throwing most of her into shadow. I liked the natural linen canvas panel for it's tone, but not so much for the feel on the surface. (The panel was commercially primed with clear acrylic and seemed somewhat "resistant" to paint). Weird! Well, nevertheless, I rate the outcome as interesting. "K" is a favorite model.

Painting: Celeste Bergin, "K"oil on 18x24 "natural linen" canvas panel

14 comments:

Dave Starr said...

accurate looking proportions and I'm enjoying that light!

Sharon Wright said...

Great sketch, interesting lighting.

Dave Starr said...

she wears a hat and nothing else thats style

Hil LaHae said...

Where do you paint on WEdnesday? good lighting

conservativelybohemian said...

I was instantly struck by the dichotomy of an angel and nudity. Beautifully done, Celeste!

Manel said...

Really love this.

Libby Fife said...

I am with the others-great lighting to begin with on this one and you captured that nicely.

I haven't used a linen panel but my Creative Mark panel had a similar problem with sort of "resisting" the acrylic paint. Crazy!

Marie Theron said...

Very good, Celeste! Yes, I lose patience with difficult cancasses too! Nevertheless the result was excellent!

Dean H. said...

Fine job, Celeste! I like the bit of blue! Really shakes it up in a good way!

Dan Gliubizzi said...

Really Like all that reflected Light

SamArtDog said...

The back-lighting is enough to capture a glance; then comes the colors you used in the shadows. So cool.

B Boylan said...

She turned out nice Celeste. I still haven't posted my rendition yet :/
Love the light on her skin...very well done.

Tito said...

Bellissimo!! I like it!

Kitty Wallis said...

Beautiful work. The light, the angel/nude impression, the warm dark shadows, good choice over the usually prescribed warm/cool light/shadow contrast.
Very satisfying.