Monday, November 21, 2011

Monday!

Just a little impromptu direct painting "night-sky" practice. My aim was to go with some simple shapes, limited colors and high contrast. I'm happy enough with the outcome, although I'll likely make a couple corrections after it is dry. Here are the steps:

1. General design

2. Placing the lightest light

3. Placing the darkest darks

4. Adding additional tones, both light and dark

Final "Night Sky"

Painting: Celeste Bergin, Night Sky, oil on 8x8 stretched canvas

9 comments:

J. Kevin James said...

I really like this and Sunday's paintings! Thanks for putting up the different stages of your painting. I always find it really useful to see how another artist arrives at their final destination!

Linda Popple said...

Very dramatic with those lovely dark blues!

Jane said...

The distance created in this painting is fantastic!

-Don said...

This is gorgeous, Celeste! I love that your silhouetted trees aren't black. The blues make the light behind them seem even 'hotter'. It's bluetiful!

-Don

conservativelybohemian said...

Another beauty, Celeste. That touch of pink for the setting (or rising) sun is perfect and a great contrast to the darkest darks. Beautiful composition too!

Libby Fife said...

Man, you make it look easy!!!!! I like this one a lot too:)

Michael Lindstrom said...

I love the mood of this piece. Nice step-by-step demo.

hw (hallie) farber said...

Don is right--bluetiful. You make it look so easy.

Yesterday's landscape was gorgeous, too.

BrandNewStudio said...

Wonderful