Wednesday, November 23, 2011

My treasured friends & family... past and present


This is a polaroid photo of me and my brother Tom in the early 60's. I guess I used to fix my hair with curlers and hold them down with this "bonnet". It's a vague memory. I am certain Tom had to have made fun of it.  He teased me relentlessly from sun-up to sun-down. I would like nothing more than to pick up the phone today to hear him say something "affectionately mean" to me in his distinctive halting speech.      He         talked        like           this.  
My Mom loved this Nativity and she put it out every year without fail. She loved the holidays and especially Thanksgiving. Mom did wonderful impressions and she could gobble like a real turkey. No matter how much we would beg her, she would only gobble for us on Thanksgiving and no other time. In true show-biz fashion, she knew it was best to "keep 'em wanting more".

Here is a slide show of some of my family and friends whom I miss very dearly. (It is an incomplete list.... I am missing a few photos) I'll update it for Christmas!

I hope you have a wonderful Holiday. It goes without saying...(but I will say it anyway) I appreciate all of YOU.  Thank you so much for your friendship!

18 comments:

Katherine van Schoonhoven said...

Before the time of blow-dryers, women filled with streets with curlers in their hair and turbans and bonnets to cover it all up! What a great photo! And a touching tribute to those you miss during the holidays.

Very special Thanksgiving wishes to you, Celeste.

Manel said...

Muy buenas fotos, y muy entrañables. Me gusta mucho la de tu abuelo con el perro en brazos.
Un saludo!

Sheryl Anthony said...

Affectionately mean made me laugh in recognition. My brothers are terrible (but I AM used to it). You made me think about how much I would miss my brothers if they were not here. No art today? You are too busy baking, I bet!

Sheryl Anthony said...

PS forgot to add Happy Thanksgiving!

Celeste Bergin said...

Manel wrote:

Very good pictures, and very endearing. I really like your grandfather with the dog in his arms.
A greeting!


____________
Thank you Manel, Katherine and Sheryl! Appreciate your comments..and Happy Thanksgiving!

Libby Fife said...

And a Happy Thanksgiving to you! Thanks for such a lovely post.

Dan Kent said...

Holidays are as much about who we don't have with us, as who we do. I am touched. Have a Happy Thanksgiving day.

Jane said...

Holidays ( for me mostly at Christmas) almost always bring a mix of joy and melancholy ...remembering the way it was, and the loved ones who are not among us any more.
A touching tribute.

Casey Klahn said...

Thanksgiving blessings, Celeste.

Dave Starr said...

Celeste it is fun to see the photos of your family. I like the one with your bro. He does look like he would like mischief. Like my own siblings. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

Gary L. Everest said...

Hi Celeste,
And a Happy Thanksgiving to you! I really enjoyed the slide show of your family, especially the shot of your Dad in uniform.
Reminded me of many happy times when my first ship, the U.S.S. Coral Sea (CV-43), would stop in Subic Bay and we'd all enjoy liberty in Olongapo City. Wonderful people and great beer (San Miguel).
Thanks for sharing and remember...only one slice of the pumpkin pie!!
Sincerely,
Gary.

SamArtDog said...

Uh-oh... parallel universe!
I had the same "bonnet", and we had the same creche.
I'm giving thanks for your friendship.
Happy Thanksgiving to you!

hw (hallie) farber said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Celeste. I think your brother Tom looks like your grandfather. Touching photos.

Mary Jane said...

Have a peaceful Thanksgiving Celeste.
A touching remembrance.

billspaintingmn said...

Happy Thanksgiving Celeste!

Celeste Bergin said...

.....Kvan, Manel, Sheryl, Libby, Dan, Jane, Casey, Dave, Gary, Sam, Hallie, Mary Jane and Bill....thanks so much for stopping by and commenting. Happy Thanksgiivng to all of you! :)

Virginia Floyd said...

Loved your photos. Thanks for sharing.

Bill Sharp said...

I could never understand how my sisters could sleep with those things in their head.

Too late for happy thanksgiving, so Happy Holidays