Friday, November 25, 2011

Friday--!

Tonight I ran across some pastel supplies I have from a few years ago (from when I tried pastel for the first time myself). Kitty Wallis showed me and some others in our art discussion group how she does an underpainting first, prior to applying any pastel. I thought I'd go ahead and see if I could remember some of Kitty's method and do a pastel study on Wallis Belgium Mist paper. Well, why not?!
(Progressive steps in slide show below)

I remember Kitty does a preliminary light charcoal sketch (with vine charcoal). She said "I try not to get too invested in the sketch, it is just for general placement". After the sketch the idea is to put in some values/colors with the liquid pigment (again, without worrying over it, because in Kitty's words: "It's all changeable and fixable"). After the paper is dry to the touch, dry pastel goes over the top of the foundation of the sketch and liquid pigment. Working in pastel is wonderful practice for considering...value...value...value!

(Kitty Wallis gives workshops, see her sidebar on her blog).

Pastel: Celeste Bergin, Pastel study, Pastel on 9x12 Wallis Paper

14 comments:

Casey Klahn said...

Whenever an artist takes up pastels, an angel gets her wings. Somewhere, the sound of a little bell ringing is heard.
Very strong ballerina!

-Don said...

"Why not?", indeed! Especially when the results are like this beauty. I wondered what that bell was that I heard earlier. I'm glad Casey cleared it up for me. :-)

I hope you're having a wonderful Thanksgiving Weekend!

-Don

conservativelybohemian said...

I always love ballerina subjects...reminds me of Degas...reminds me of how much I love the dance. Beautifully done, Celeste! This is magic!

Mariano Zucchi said...

Hi Celeste
nice movement and great colors as well.

billspaintingmn said...

Now this I have to try. Thanks Celeste!

Sheryl Anthony said...

You make it look easy and I know that it isn't! (at least not for me). I want to try it again, however, with this encouragement. Thanks!

Dave Starr said...

Very nice! Strong

Celeste Bergin said...

Thanks Casey, Don, Sherry, Mariano, Bill Sheryl! (Casey...I'm not really taking them up for real, I am too much into oil--but I admire pastelists (like you bigtime) Thanks for stopping by and commenting--I appreciate it :)

Dean H. said...

A beautiful work, Celeste! Thanks for the progression shots!
Pastels and ballerinas!!! A happy combo!

Maritza said...

HERMOSO! Mucho...

Abrazos,Celeste!

Linda Popple said...

Stunning! I really enjoyed the slide show, especially the first few photos with just the gesture of the ballerina. It's really a beautiful painting!

Kitty Wallis said...

Very fine piece. I admire your versatility, able to produce such a strong piece in your 'second language'.

I prefer to use my white paper with this technique. But you showed you can get a very dynamic result on the Belgian Mist color.

And what perfect timing, I just this evening updated my classes sidebar. Now the dates and places are set.

Jane said...

Oh wow, this is very pretty! Discovered you are left handed...like me.

Caio Fern said...

so lovely and beautiful....
the video was a very good idea too.