Sunday, November 13, 2011

Sunday!

Yesterday my art friend Kimberly Kent delivered this great painting to me..as a gift! Kimberly had put this painting into an eight+ show awhile back and I admired it. I learned today the whole story behind the painting. Kimberly and several of her friends played a game of "Pictionary" with paint and large canvases. (They each in turn added elements to the painting until the Pictionary word was guessed). Take a good look at the painting.....can you guess the word? (Answer at the end of the post).

Now here (below) is my practice from today. I had an idea to paint on printed paper again. Painting on any kind of paper is fun (gessoed or not); it frees you up..and you'll let go of so much attachment to the outcome. It was good practice for sure and as a bonus I saw in the end .....that the vase seems to be smiling! (Slide show below shows the progression).




Pictionary Answer: Litterbug

(Top painting): Kimberly Kent (and friends) "Litterbug" oil on 24x30 stretched canvas
(Bottom painting) Celeste Bergin, Floral practice, oil on 9 x 12 printed (magazine) paper

8 comments:

SamArtDog said...

From your "message beyond the medium" to playing pictionary with paint, once again cleverness abounds in Portland. What, it's in the water?

Jane said...

What a lucky gal you are, the painting you received is gorgeous and your friend is very generous.
And of course your painting of the Narcissus is stunning too, so much movement!

conservativelybohemian said...

Good idea painting on the magazine page, Celeste! I never think of these things! Love the vase of flowers, so classical! Here I was thinking something like "chip off the ol' block" or something for the painting!

billspaintingmn said...

ok, I never would have guessed litter bug.

I used to use magazines for paper palettes as a sign painter. I would have never thought to use it to do a painting, very clever!

I also used the phone directory to oil up my brushes at the end of each day, and lay them out for the next day. (I always oiled my brushes, it keeps them conditioned, and won't let the paint set up in them.

The painting gift is cool Celeste!
It's a "group effort"

Your floral, I know you said practice, I'll bet if you show it, it will sell. It's beautiful, creative, and fresh!

Eric Bowman said...

Nice floral, Celeste! I should be so carefree with my materials -- I agree with Bill...it would probably sell in a nice frame, Well done!

Maritza said...

¡BELLAS TUS FLORES Y EL JARRÓN SONRIENTE!!

;)

Abrazos grandes.

hw (hallie) farber said...

What a nice gift. And I like that you left the words above your flower painting--makes one wonder.

Dave Starr said...

A good idea that I forgot about. I had a college prof who had us warm up on newspaper.