Sunday, December 18, 2011

Dramatic values


Every now and then I have the opportunity to see an instructional art DVD. Recently I watched M. Katherine Hurley's "Dramatic Values". In the DVD Hurley "adds and subtracts" values with a black pastel and an eraser. I painted this painting tonight with her instruction in mind. (It always seems "naughty" to paint with some black! ....Will Santa know?)

Painting: Celeste Bergin, The River, oil on 8x8 stretched canvas

(And just for fun, here is a Potpourri no-rhyme-or-reason slide show of recent things, some photos taken with my iphone):

11 comments:

suzannepaints said...

Yes, this is very dramatic. Great exercise and it feels like December!

Casey Klahn said...

Very well done - draws me at a deep level, because of the contrasts.

I was just looking at some MKH images on the net today. Love her work, too.

conservativelybohemian said...

I think this is beautiful! Despite the white, it seems like it is getting dark and the water reflects rain clouds!

Libby Fife said...

Adding black is always a little risque' I always like the results though I admit. And a great random slide show-gotta love it!

Dan Gliubizzi said...

I like the "naughty" comment. Black diffinetly changes the game

Linda Popple said...

A good exercise. The contrasts between your lights and darks are so expressive.

Loved your slide show, too! You look cute in the hat! The page from Kitty's book? What book is that? Looks interesting.

diffident.bother said...

Wow! I love the effect.

Virginia Floyd said...

Oooo, using black is naughty! I have art instructors who'd be very upset with me about that.

However, it is a gorgeous painting, so I'm not telling!

SamArtDog said...

Thanks for the fun slideshow.
Thanks for the Hurley link. She's terrific.
And yes, black is naughty which is nice!

hw (hallie) farber said...

"The River" and "Yellow Tree"--it's hard to pick one; both are beautiful.

Clayton-Ted Green said...

Beautiful!