Monday, December 12, 2011

Messing around with..........Grisaille


I painted a Grisaille (above) some months ago. (A Grisaille is a monochromatic underpainting). Traditionally, it is painted in gray tones. I painted mine in Umber.

I was looking around for something to do tonight....so I mixed up some medium with a tinge of color..

..and I applied the glaze to the painting. Instantly the subject looked more lively.

I added a little rose color here and there and I'll probably add more color to her when she dries further. This is all just an experiment.

13 comments:

Maritza said...

Su expresión es maravillosa, tiene melancolía, añoranza...qué se yo!

Muy hermoso, Celeste!

Abrazos grandes, desde Chile, de madrugada...
:)

Celeste Bergin said...

Maritza writes:

The expression is wonderful, is melancholy, nostalgia ... what do I know?

Very beautiful, Celeste!

Big hugs from Chile, at dawn ...
:)

Celeste Bergin said...

Thanks so much Maritza :)

Linda Popple said...

A beautiful experiment!

Celeste Bergin said...

Martine wrote:

The stream of life travels in this beautiful painting ...
big kiss


----------------

Thanks, Martine!

martinealison said...

Un apport de vie à petite dose... Délicat...
Bisous

Sharon Wright said...

You have certainly brought her to life!

conservativelybohemian said...

She does indeed look more lively. I love the blush of color in her cheeks! Great experimenting, my friend!

Jeanette said...

Beautiful and timeless painting. The grisaille can stand on its own but the touch of colour gives it life. I quite like this one.

Page Railsback said...

Love to see your process..it looks great..love the monochromatic..love your roses in a glass a lot too

Dan Kent said...

That is one cool experiment!

billspaintingmn said...

Celeste! You keep showing new creative things! I'm still looking for my script pen and inks.
You are a whirl wind of art! (That's a great thing:)

Jane said...

Oh yes, so much better, she really came alive with the color.