Monday, December 19, 2011

Glaze-o-rama!

After last week's glazing experiments, I decided to do a little more glazing and also make some corrections to earlier work. Revisiting older dry paintings is a cool way to feel like you are getting a ton of stuff done...when, in reality, it takes very little time.  For the glazes, I used one part thinner to 2 parts stand oil, and then I applied the color where I wanted it.
(All of these paintings are "studies" and I was not heavily invested in the outcomes...I wound up pleased, though).

This bouquet was painted quite a while back. I like it because it is the complete opposite of "fussy". A glaze of yellow made it more interesting.

This painting received a light all over glaze of Ultramarine blue. I then went back and removed the blue out of the yellow. The glaze helped unify the colors in the painting.

Here are these people in the rain again..... I "obscured" her ugly foot. Good move, if I do say so myself.

I added a bit more color to this portrait. She was a cool experiment (with a grisaille). I'm calling her done now.

(1) Painting: Celeste Bergin, Wild Flowers, oil on 8x10 canvas panel
(2) Painting: Celeste Bergin, Reflections, oil on 8x8 canvas panel
(3) Painting: Celeste Bergin, Conversation, oil on 9x12 canvas panel
(4) Painting: Celeste Bergin, Portrait, oil on 16x20 canvas panel

That's my Monday...how's yours?

11 comments:

martinealison said...

Avec un oeil nouveau... tout devient magique! faut-il aussi avoir le talent!... et vous l'avez...
Bisous

conservativelybohemian said...

Wow, Celeste! These are all amazing and I have to agree with you on the foot. Sometimes, as right now, I just sat back and am awed...by your talent, by your knowledge...

I recently scraped and turped over the dog painting I was doing. I did, as I feared, wreck it once I began the completing of it. Now? I've drawn them freehand and am prepping to watercolor. Will I finish by Friday? Only the shadow knows.

Maritza said...

Por supuesto que debes estar satisfecha,Celeste, los resultados son maravillosos!
Te felicito.
Y deseo para ti unas felices fiestas.
ABRAZOS GRANDES.

billspaintingmn said...

I can't keep up with you girl! You are a wirl wind of inspiration and production.
Mery Christmas, and blessings to all!

Victoria Lindstrom said...

Celeste - As always, your artwork is lovely! We so enjoyed having you and your hubby to our home. Glad you enjoy your new oil painting from Michael! Happy Holidays!

ArtSparker said...

I always enjoy your rain paintings. Happy Holidays!

Chris said...

I've never glazed. I'll have to try it after seeing what wonderful results you had.

Jane said...

Wonderful series of successful paintings!

Celeste Bergin said...

Martine wrote:

With a fresh look ... everything is magic! does it also have the talent! ... and you ...
kisses

Celeste Bergin said...

Maritza wrote:

Of course you must be satisfied, Celeste, the results are wonderful!
Congratulations.
And I wish for you a happy holiday.
BIG HUGS.

Celeste Bergin said...

Thank you Martine, Sherry, Maritza, Bill, Victoria, ArtSparker, Chris and Jane!