Thursday, December 8, 2011

"Paint over Thursday"

The coolest thing about oil paint is that you can paint over other paintings "ad infinitum". Here are the steps (below):

This is a practice portrait that I did awhile back. It's nothing that I won't miss...so I'm painting over it.

I'm using a limited palette of Burnt Sienna, Ultramarine Blue, White and Raw Sienna. I put the general shapes in with Burnt Sienna.

I paint the sky in as one big shape and place warm and cool colors to describe the trees.

Keeping everything super-simple, I add colors/shapes for the building structure and the road.

I leave parts of the original darks exposed and add some indication of the roof and some fence posts. I finish the trees with some additional brushwork. The original "dude" is completely obliterated---mission accomplished!

Painting: Celeste Bergin, Grange Hall, oil on 9x12 canvas panel

14 comments:

martinealison said...

Une toile bien nourrie... Une évolution intéressante.
Gros bisous

Michael Lindstrom said...

Very loose and bold, great work Celeste, especially with an abbreviated palette. Really enjoy the step-by-step too.

conservativelybohemian said...

This is just beautiful, Celeste. I love the palette you've chosen and the rural scene. You always amaze me with your work!

Libby Fife said...

Every time I see you do this I want to try it. Great results too.

SamArtDog said...

Fun to watch this dude obliterated like magic. I really like #2!

Sadami said...

~(*o*)~ ʚ(ˆ◡ˆ)ɞ·.•*•♫°•♫·.•ʚ(ˆ◡ˆ)ɞ

Page Railsback said...

Love the process and the painting..your tonal palette..very european looking

Maritza said...

Maravillosas pinturas y mucho más la fusión entre ellas!

ABRAZOS.

-Don said...

Oh yeah! This is like a crime story with the poor dude buried beneath Grange Hall. I wonder if his ghost will forever haunt...

-Don

Jane said...

One thing I like a lot about painting over an old painting is to see some of the old colors underneath, I think it gives a special depth to the new painting. Love to see the steps ...as always.

SamArtDog said...

HEY!!!
You've got 500 followers!

Dan Kent said...

When I am neck deep in my day job, I peak at your blog, and I am resuscitated. Again, again, I have not missed a post, although I have not commented, and although every post has been worthy of comment. I feel that I am learning from you, just to see what you do. I love your discussions about technique. It's probably an illusion because doing is what teaches the most, I think, but either way you inspire me to paint, and I am ready to once again grab a canvas (yes, a canvas) again, and make another mess. Thank you, Celeste!

Celeste Bergin said...

THANKS Kvan, Martin, Michael, Sherry, Libby, Sam, Sadami, Page, Maritza, Don, Jane and Dan! Thanks for dropping by and commenting---I appreciate it so much!

Hey, Dan..you inspire me! I just bought a fountain pen (thinking of your great ink & watercolor sketches).

Phoebe Dylan said...

Love this post Celeste
The under painting really worked