Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Revisiting......

Today I was still in a "glazing" mood from yesterday. I gave this painting a new light layer of Indian yellow and I made some changes to the female. Well, now that it is uploaded I see the yellow layer is nice enough, but that her foot looks ...er.....weird.  I don't mind that his foot is ambiguous....but her ankle and shoe ...hmmm.
One of my teachers once said: "Every single solitary stroke matters"...and when you see an ankle that ends up looking like a pipe instead of an ankle, you certainly understand the wisdom of that statement). I'll fix it down the road-I've revisited this painting a couple of times.

I went to the regular Tuesday PPASP meeting today. It is always so much fun to hear and see what everyone has been doing. What's on your easel?

Painting: Celeste Bergin, Conversation, oil on 9x12 canvas panel

13 comments:

mary maxam said...

Very beautiful! I feel like I'm part of the downpour.

conservativelybohemian said...

I think this is a powerful piece, Celeste. I found myself wondering what they were talking about and why the men isn't sharing his umbrella.

Maritza said...

Ayyyy...esta es MARAVILLOSA!
Adorable, romántica, nostálgica...

Muchas felicitaciones.
Abrazos grandes.

Page Railsback said...

Don't think we would have even noticed the foot had you not mentioned it...no problem..or just put your finger on it gently and smudge it

Jane said...

Love this, there is a certain mood that I really like.

Sheryl Anthony said...

I remember this painting from before. I did not notice anything wrong with the foot and I still don't, but if you say so! lol
I enjoyed the previous post about the color layer on top of the grissaile too. Thanks for helping me understand some of these mysterious things.

Caio Fern said...

i think it got very romantic and beautiful.

nouvelles couleurs - vienna atelier said...

I Like the paint so much... you are so talented

Michael Lindstrom said...

Maybe she just has a case of the "Cankles". Love the mood and mystery in this painting.

Dean H. said...

It's great how the eye is directed by the light in this kind of painting.

It's ok as is but if her ankle/foot bothers you, I like Page's suggestion..."just put your finger on it gently and smudge it."

Hoghart said...

The result deserved your revisit. This is a beautiful painting and I like the light and did not notice the foot. All seems right for me :o)
I like also the way you rework the portrait on the previous post.

hw (hallie) farber said...

I like this--give her some boots.

-Don said...

This has such a wonderful feel to it. I like how they're silhouetted by the bright, yellow light and that the light is what connects them.

I think that what's bothering you about that ankle is that it's the only spot in the entire painting that you have a flat color. Page's smudge idea is a winner.

-Don