Monday, December 5, 2011

Things don't always go as planned

I worked on a painting today that didn't work out. It's currently in the trash can. When I have a failure I usually draw something---so I don't end the day on a sour note. (It is literally "back to the drawing board").  Some time ago I was taught that going one direction with the charcoal/pencil is the ticket! You can cover a lot of ground and it looks ......"certain".

Charcoal Drawing: Celeste Bergin, Portrait, Charcoal and white pastel on gray paper

I saw this video earlier and just knew I had to share it.
"Casper" is really good at enjoying the moment. (And don't worry, I understand the soap is special "dog soap" and not irritating to his eyes).

12 comments:

Maritza said...

PRECIOSO!

Felicitaciones miles, Celeste!

Abrazos desde Chile.

hw (hallie) farber said...

You certainly went in the right direction with this portrait.

Casper is one relaxed dog!

Sharon Wright said...

Wonderful drawing, Celeste, bold and fearless, like you! And I like that idea, to draw if a painting is not going to plan.

conservativelybohemian said...

What a gorgeous portrait, Celeste! I've never liked using charcoal (I think it is the mess it makes on my hands and the mess I ultimately make on the paper) so I'm just stunned by the dimension and depth you've achieved in her beautiful face. Truly beautiful!

Love the video. I've never seen a dog like his bath so much!! That is amazing!

Jane said...

I like your drawing very much, I do't think that day was wasted at all...artistically speaking!

And the dog...he's really loving it :-) Wonderful video!

Celeste Bergin said...

Sherry, I used a charcoal pencil...so there is no charcoal on my hands--lol! (Although I don't mind getting charcoal on my hands, though, so I use the other kinds of charcoal too).

Thanks for your comments Maritza, Hallie, Sharon, Sherry and Jane!

Brad Miedema said...

Great drawing Celeste! I love the idea of drawing something when a painting doesn't work out. Very cool!

billspaintingmn said...

Wonderful drawing Celeste! It does have certainty to it.
Has a classical Venus look.

Dog video! New meaning to a dogs life!

Dean H. said...

Very well done drawing, Celeste!
The directional strokes add a certain quality to it.

Enjoyed the cool dog, Casper.

Linda Popple said...

Lovely drawing, Celeste. It's a great way to salvage the art day!

Love the video! I've never seen a dog more relaxed and obviously happy!

SamArtDog said...

What a handsome and powerful drawing. I recognize your directional marks from your "meeting after the meeting" drawings. They're your hand-drawing style.

The video is huge here!

Sarah Bachhuber Peroutka said...

This is an intriguing drawing. I'm drawn to it's motion. The cocked head and eyes are riveting.