Sunday, January 29, 2012

Howdy!


I cleaned my "bunker" studio today. It took me hours and I'm not really done. I stacked tons of bad paintings, good paintings and  in-between paintings. I didn't blog the painting above when I initially did it (in Nov of 2010), because I did a 2nd version of it that I felt was better and I blogged that one instead. Since I don't have a new painting from today, I'll post this initial version....because, in retrospect, it's kind of a nice painting.
What to keep and what to throw away is a constant issue! I want to get rid of the bad paintings, and I should get rid of the in betweens too. It's a chore to make the decisions. This study will probably inch it's way into the keep pile.

Oil Sketch: Celeste Bergin, (Life session) Cowboy, oil on 9x12 canvas panel

12 comments:

Casey Klahn said...

Very nice! Also the B&W phone - I want to do more B&W and you inspire me.

Candace X. Moore said...

Hi, Celeste. I agree, it's hard to decide what to do with old works. I've been connecting with models recently and giving them paintings I did of them. They are happy to get them...I am happy someone wants them. I think part of learning is recognizing that each piece is a stepping stone in the learning process. Nothing is precious. Makes it okay to try something new.

But I think that cowboy should end up in the "keep" pile. Nice greens and yellows.

hw (hallie) farber said...

This Cowboy belongs in the keep pile. Nice phone painting yesterday; I have one of those phones--very heavy, a weapon (and it looks cool sitting on the back of the toilet in my workshop).

Page Railsback said...

I like this one better than the first..I also appreciate you posting work that you don't think is your very best...I am more of a coward and only post every few days...but the bottom line for us to JUST PAINT..then we feel OK each day..Nice Celeste

Dan Kent said...

I like it - it's strong. One option - you could keep going with it. Just a thought.

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

It truly is a tough decision as what to keep and what to throw away. I've shown work that I thought should have gone in the garbage and sold to the first person who saw it, and then again, had stuff sit and not sell that I thought was worthy of selling.. Maybe hang on to it all...............

Jane said...

He is good, Hallie is right...to keep!

CrimsonLeaves said...

Oh boy! I like this alot, Celeste! That light on the lower half of his face is the kind of detail I often miss and is what separates the pros like yourself from the amateurs like me. What a handsome Marlboro Man this one is!

Linda Popple said...

A keeper!

nouvelles couleurs - vienna atelier said...

great shadow Celeste!

Elizabeth Seaver said...

It is a lovely painting. I'd keep it!

DJ said...

Yes, he's def a keeper! ...unlike some men I know...lol