Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Tuesday~!


Yesterday in Craig Srebnik's class we got to watch him paint a demonstration from a black and white photo and then we were to take to our own easels (and paint from the same photo he did). Tall order! You should have seen his version of this (perfection!). I did not achieve near the strong lights and darks he did in his painting...but all and all I know I learned some important things and I give myself points for getting this far after just one hour. I think we'll work from the same photo again next week. 

(Oil Sketch) Celeste Bergin, workshop painting start, oil on 18x24 canvas panel

Also yesterday, after five years, I "left" my volunteer position of communicator for PPASP. Five years is a long time and I really thought people HAD to be very tired of me...but! a great surprise was that today I got scads of emails from PPASP-ers who gave me glowing "reviews" and thanked me. That was BIG.  In many ways I often understood and accepted the "thankless" aspects of the job I had undertaken, but the truth is....it definitely meant a lot to me to be thanked. oxoxoxoxoxo!!

Now, just for fun, here is an unusal video below. In 1941 Salvador Dali designed and hosted a party held in the Bali Room of the Hotel Del Monte, Monterey, California. The event was titled Night in a Surrealist Forest and it was a fund raiser to help European artists displaced by the war:

8 comments:

lilasvb said...

happy new year to you

Sheryl Anthony said...

I saw those classes were availabe I envy you! I can't believe you did that in an hour. Does he teach speed painting or something? j/k
No more volunteering now, didn't you ever learn never to volunteer for anything?
I enjoyed the video. Fun to see Bob Hope.

conservativelybohemian said...

I think you did a marvelous job with this piece, Celeste! Course, I can't paint people worth a fig so to me it looks perfect and oh so...artisty! Loved the video too; Bob Hope has always been a favorite of mine!

Julie Ford Oliver said...

I really love the angle of the head. This is a fabulous one hour sketch. You did yourself proud.

Maritza said...

Me gusta sobretodo la postura de la modelo, sin embargo la técnica me resulta un poco "dura" para el (la)modelo a pintar; tan delicada...(opinión muy subjetiva, por supuesto).

Besos, Celeste!

mary maxam said...

Excellent post! I think you did a great job on this piece with light and color,sounds like a super class. I can imagine how they miss your energy and upbeat personality at the job...poor them, but sometimes we must move on...enjoyed the video,thanks

Erik van Elven said...

Beautiful result in such a short amount of time Celeste. Interesting challenge to make up your own colors. Thanks for posting!

Sarah Bachhuber Peroutka said...

In 2010 we had the great pleasure of visiting two museums with surrealistic emphasis: the Dali museum in St. Petersburg, FL http://thedali.org/ and the Menil in Houston http://menil.org/collection/collectionoverview.php Never has that subject made so much sense.