Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Wednesday--!

I went to "Open Studio" today at Kat Sowa's. This was an opportunity (after the workshop) to revisit some of the still lifes that are still set up and available to paint. I suffered today, because I wanted to get the color of that dominate rose really right....but, alas! I did not achieve it. It felt like a battle to this stage, and it's no where near finished. I'll look at it tomorrow with a fresh eye. 

 My paint order finally arrived, so I was able to prepare my palette the way it was supposed to be. This is a ton of paint! (The palette is 18x24).

 Here is my art friend Mark Larsen. It was fun to see him again today.

And this is Mark Larsen's dog, Bessie. She goes everywhere with Mark, so she is sure to live a more interesting life than your average little furry companion).

(Top photo): Painting: Celeste Bergin, Detail Still Life (in progress), oil on 20x20 stretched canvas

11 comments:

Michael Lindstrom said...

That palette is AWESOME!!!!!
The Mac Daddy of all palettes!
A real Behemoth!
Nice to see Mark and Bessie too!

Sheryl Anthony said...

You're not commplaining, are you? I like the rose very much! It sparkles! That studio looks like a lovely place to paint.

Jane said...

I love your flowers! Rich and luscious.

CrimsonLeaves said...

How do you keep from the oils drying out if you don't use them all, Celeste? I've heard that you can put them in the freezer with Saran Wrap over the top...I don't use my oils enough but I hate wasting them when I do! And I just love this piece, truly. The greens are beautiful, the blossoms bright...harbingers of spring!

Dean H. said...

I have had some mighty battles trying to come up with the "right" red.
To me your painting looks great.

Bravo on your paint filled palette, Celeste!
My biggest downfall is being way too stingy with paint...even on my little 5x7's.

Linda Popple said...

Nice painting, Celeste and your palette .... wow! Bessie looks so content. At first she looked just like a little rag but then I found an eye! She is so cute!

Celeste Bergin said...

thanks Michael, Sheryl, Jane, Sherry, Dean and Linda! I appeciate your stopping by my blog and leaving a comment!
Sheryl, it is a lovely place to paint--please come paint with us!
Sherry there are ways to keep the paint soft and usable. Kat sprinkles her palette with safflower oil, no saran wrap. If you paint as much as she does you will use up this amount of paint easily.:)

nouvelles couleurs - vienna atelier said...

the flower are so a nice and moving work Celeste, don't know why but I see as an introspective work. it's really lovely

Virginia Floyd said...

That is a huge amount of paint for me! And lots more colors, too. Very interesting! I like your rose painting. The background looks so gorgeous against the reds.

-Don said...

Now THAT'S a palette!! And it looks to me like it's being put to good use on that still life. Fresh eyes must always be employed when we're not sure. I'll be you were happier today when you looked at your progress...

-Don

Dave Starr said...

OMG, that palette!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!