Monday, March 12, 2012

Monday!


Our assignment in Craig Srebnik's figure class today was to paint from a photo reference of Da Vinci's Leda and the Swan (sans Swan). We used only burnt sienna, yellow, black and white. Before we set brush to canvas we were reminded about highlights, midtones, transitional tone, core shadow, reflected light and cast shadow by a super-helpful printed handout that Craig authored (and had us work on). Great lesson! 

Painting: Celeste Bergin, Figure assignment Leda and the Swan, oil on 18x24 canvas panel

9 comments:

mary maxam said...

very nice sculptural work here and I like this limited palette- I'd like to try it.

Mariano Zucchi said...

Hi Celeste,
a limited palette is always a plus, remainds me of the Zorn palette. You did a great study of Leda

Caio Fern said...

i loved the greens.
and yes, isn't necessary to say it is classical.... wonderful.

Manel said...

Like it!

CrimsonLeaves said...

Beautifully painted Celeste! I love that you painted so beautifully with just four colors too!

Dan Kent said...

Just beautiful. I wish I could keep up with comments on your posts during the week, because all of your work for the last several are so very good! Wonderful portrait of Za Vue's nephew - economical and yet such depth of feeling. Love the figures - they glow, really. And the flowers are complex, lively, and with a wonderful color scheme! My sis-in-law just bought a pair of green and pink sneakers for my 2-year-old niece and I haven't been able to get the color combo out of my mind. It's powerful.

L.W.Roth, said...

Wonderful paintings Celeste. It stood out on my sidebar saying Botticelli maybe?--Venus Rising maybe? But more with more dimension; I'd love to see the hand-out. From this painting, it is invaluable.

Jane said...

Perfect proportions and wonderful movement of the body!

hw (hallie) farber said...

Sculptural--I agree with the first comment. This is fantastic--vivid.