Sunday, March 11, 2012

Saturday!

I had the opportunity to attend an open painting session with Craig Srebnik and some of his painting students today. We were urged to bring a painting that was not finished so we could finish it.  I brought in a figure I'd painted in his class from a reference photo. Craig showed us how to apply a thin layer of safflower oil over the dry painting, so that it accepts new paint easily.  I painted over my original painting, paying attention to the principles of turning form and giving it better color and light. It's still not completely done....but it's getting there.

before (L) and after (R)

(Top photo) Painting: Celeste Bergin, Seated figure, oil on 18x24 canvas panel

10 comments:

martinealison said...

Une progression intéressante et il est toujours passionnant d'apprendre des petits "trucs"...
Une pose terriblement sensuelle.
gros bisous

CrimsonLeaves said...

Fabulously interesting post, Celeste. I like both versions really. And? I learned something new! Woot!

PAMO ART said...

Your ability to paint the figure is superb! I love that you aren't just one thing- you do portraits, landscapes, silhouettes, and more.

Another gorgeous work Celeste!

Sadami said...

Hi,Celeste,
Thank you for the interesting post. Your blog always teachs me about oil.
Cheers,Sadami

Dean H. said...

Love the massing of color/value on her hand, knee, and foot. Makes a nice base.

Manel said...

Good!

Jane said...

It is looking really good though already!

Maritza said...

Interesante y delicada postura de la modelo...
Buen trabajo, Celeste.

Abrazos miles.

Page Railsback said...

Learn something new every day..Your work is so eclectic..you are a beautiful painter and can paint any subject beautifully

Kyla Hynes said...

This is a really beautiful figure painting. I love the tones