Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Visiting the Portland Art Museum, Rothko exhibit

(My landscape painting above is divided into horizontal thirds, sort of in a Rothko way)

Today I had the great pleasure of visiting the Rothko exhibit at the Portland Art Museum. Dave and I had arranged to meet Jim King there and by happy happenstance we also ran into art friend Marty Tassoni:

 Jim, Marty and me

 It was a surprise to find out that photographs are now allowed at the Portland Art Museum! Hooray!

Rothko, of course, is famous for his color bands. I thought I saw a face in this painting. Do you see it? (And isn't it typical for a representational artist to see something recognizable where they should not?) I must stop that. Seriously, it is a beautiful exhibit, every painting is exquisite. 

The Sculpture Court at the Museum...the weather was nice!

We had lunch at "South Park" right down the street from the Museum. I love how that fish is "swimming" through the bricks in the building. I recommend you see the Rothko exhibit! It is there until May 27, 2012. (This is a link to some of the Rothko paintings: KATU)

(Top Photo) Painting: Celeste Bergin, In Thirds, oil on 6x6 gessoed wood panel

11 comments:

Sadami said...

Hi,Celeste,
Work, post, both're nice!! Ah, if it could be my next door!!
Cheers,Sadami

mary maxam said...

Informative and such a good little education. Your blue landscape is eloquent.

Casey Klahn said...

Rothko dominates. His big paintings are layers and layers of ethereal dimensions.

Cannot say enough about him! And, he has a Portland connection, huh?

Marie Theron said...

I love the beautiful atmosphere in your painting. And would have loved to visit the gallery with you. I left for Houston in 2000 all geared up to enter the Rothko Chapel, but it was closed for repairs when we got there!

CrimsonLeaves said...

I also see a face, Celeste, so I think it is rather cool that you do as well. As to calling that red washed canvas art? Or those abstracts that I see in the next photo? I guess I shall kindly keep my opinions to myself. LOL Now...that landscape you did? That is quite lovely and my kind of art!

Dan Kent said...

I see the face - round, looking slightly down, almost Asian in style. And shoulders too. Maybe we are both nuts.

Dan Kent said...

I see the face - round, looking slightly down, almost Asian in style. And shoulders too. Maybe we are both nuts.

diffident.bother said...

I love that big expanse of sky!

Jala Pfaff said...

Your landscape is lovely, and thanks for posting about my favorite artist!

Page Railsback said...

Your painting is very lovely and I prefer it to Rothko's any day..soft and painterly

loriann signori said...

Nice Rothko influenced painting! I think we all love Rothko..those vibrating layers of paint make you feel!