Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Monday!

The painting above is from when I first started painting. I used to do weekly challenges on Wet Canvas, and this was painted from one of those. I've chucked most of those early efforts, but I kept this one. It's is a good example about how breaking things down into simple shapes and 3-5 values will provide a decent result.

 Stephanie Cissna and I wound up at Pastrygirl today in our Montavilla neighborhood...

.....and we celebrated Stephanie's birthday with a slice of chocolate caramel cake. 

(Top Photo) Celeste Bergin, Fishing Bear, oil on 9x12 gessoed paper

11 comments:

Kyla Hynes said...

great colors in the bear painting! cake looks good too ;)

CrimsonLeaves said...

You were an amazing artist right from the getgo, Celeste. No surprise to me. The cake looks yummy but I suspect it is because you used the word "caramel." Never have been a dark chocolate fan but the frosting looks yummy too!

Sadami said...

Hi, Celeste,
The nice work and post clearly states how to draw/paint(I still keep basics as you wrote there).
Please pass my best wishes to Stephanie.
Cheers, Sadami

BoholstWife said...

ooohhh i want some of that! looks so good, but soooooo naughty. i bet if you painted the cake it would still make me drool.

Chris said...

chocolate caramel cake? I want a piece.

John Simlett said...

What most people don't realise is that birthday cake has NO calories at all, and is therefore not fattening.

It looks like you flew out of the starting blocks, Celeste ... a painter from the start. Love the bear

Don't let Sandra (http://www.sketch-mad.com) see the bear - she's been bear (picture) wrestling all last week ...and lost

L.W.Roth, said...

The bear immediately caught my eye. I wondered what happened to Celeste. Yes, from the start you were outstanding. Wonderful animal kingdom painting--and very sound advice, which I sometimes forget. Thanks for the reminder.

SamArtDog said...

Oh sure... blame the cake on someone else's birthday. Kinda like blaming the fish on the bear.
Both are tasty.

Dean H. said...

I think I remember this painting, Celeste. Was is from the Weekend Drawing Event? It was good back then...It's good now. :)

hw (hallie) farber said...

I'm glad you saved some early pieces.

Dave Castillo said...

does this bear have a red dot? if not, let's talk