Saturday, April 14, 2012

Saturday!


I painted this "out in the field" last year. I've always liked it,  because the flowers came out looking a little like butterflies.  I made a few subtle changes to it today and propped it up on the mantle to consider it further.

Earlier in the day I watched a Craig Srebnik demonstration that he did from a photo of a garden in Paris.
I can't say enough good things about Srebnik. His lectures are full of valuable information (and some wry wit too). I'm a big fan.

 After I left the demonstration I stopped at Pam Flanders studio sale. Pam's professional organizer friend Michelle Dawson suggested a couple of years ago that Pam turn her front room into her studio/gallery. It's a remarkable and novel idea and one that makes a lot of sense. Why not use the space that you have to do what you love? (Michelle on left, Pam on right)

(Moofie wants to be an LOL cat). 

(Top Photo) Painting: Celeste Bergin, Flowers at the Gorge White House, oil on 6x8 canvas panel


12 comments:

John Simlett said...

Those flowers would brighten any morning - they certainly started my day with a smile. Gorgeous!

I'm a sucker for street scenes, would have loved to have seen the demo.

Have a nice weekend.

martinealison said...

J'ai pris beaucoup de plaisir à consulter votre blog aujourd'hui...
Votre peinture avec ces magnifiques fleurs aux couleurs généreuses est très intéressante. Elle place le spectateur à la hauteur des fleurs.. On pourrait presque s'assimiler à une petite abeille et aller butiner sur chacune d'entre elles...
Gros bisous à vous et bon dimanche.

Celeste Bergin said...

Martine wrote:

I really enjoyed to see your blog today ...
Your painting these beautiful colored flowers generous is very interesting. It places the viewer at the height of the flowers .. It could almost be likened to a small bee and to forage on each ...
Big hugs to you and good Sunday.
============
(thanks, Martine!)

Jan Yates, SCA, Canada said...

These are joyous and yes, the feeling of butteries and flight-I really like the way you've handled distance-interesting how butterflies are made to look like petals-nature's pretty cool that way-so is this painting!

CrimsonLeaves said...

I so love the point of view of your plein aire floral! And the varying levels of the blooms themselves is so natural. Gorgeous colors too. All comes together in a beautiful painting, Celeste. Love the idea of the living room being a studio gallery. The only problem is that you never know who you might be letting into your home and that is the bar for me.

l.w.roth said...

The poppies are wonderful Celeste. They do look like butterflies--I think it's the red orand dot on the left that gives the illusion of butterflies OR flowers blowing' in the wind.

Chris said...

great post-and warm, wonderful energetic painting

SamArtDog said...

Moofie looks like the kind of cat who would put my dog in his place!

Celeste Bergin said...

THANKS Sam, Chris, LW, Sherry, Jan, Martine and John!

Sherry, I should have clarified, Pam's front room (gallery) is not open to the public...it is "by appointment only". Still, it looks just like a gallery---and it is fun to see so much work on display in the artist's home. :)

Claire Beadon Carnell said...

I love the airy look to these flowers - you can almost feel a spring breeze blowing around them! I also like that cat photo, and may have to make a copy to hang in my studio!

Mariano Zucchi said...

Hi Celeste,
very nice poppies, great!

Libby Fife said...

Boy, Moofie is giving you a look!

Love your weekend flowers:)