Thursday, April 5, 2012

Thursday!

This is a painting from last year, I revised it some by messing around with it today. ("messing around" is a highly technical painting term, as you know).  I darkened some things and lightened some things. Originally, the reference for this painting was a black and white photo.  For some inexplicable reason I elected to make the umbrella pink. I think I liked the incongruence of a business man with a pink umbrella.  In reality, umbrellas are not as prevalent in Portland as you would think. Most people just walk around, umbrella-less, with pouring rain just sheeting off of them...(like the guy in the foreground).

Painting: Celeste Bergin, Downpour II, oil on 9x12 canvas panel

11 comments:

Casey Klahn said...

Yes! Good improvements!

There is a strong graphic quality here.

Michael Lindstrom said...

Umbrella Queen strikes again! I like that you revisited the painting. It seems when one does that, there is vibrancy that shows up that wouldn't normally be there. The pink touch really adds interest, great job! And you are so right, umbrellas are not-so-common in the Pac NW. Heck, i just bought my first raincoast a few years ago.

Rachel Harvey said...

I love your umbrella/rain paintings... but, yes, it's true, us native Portlanders tend to go umbrella-less. Multiple reasons: 1) can never find one; 2) if we find one, it always blows inside out and what good is that?; 3)if it doesn't blow inside out, it manages to shed all the deflected rain down our neck; 4) we get more wet fiddling with it as we get in and out of the car than if we just make a dash. They do look very cool in paintings, though! :)

CrimsonLeaves said...

Love the guy in the foreground! I had to laugh at your words though. I remember hearing numerous times when I lived in WA that you know you are not from Washington if you carry an umbrella! LOL Even has a bumbershoot festival. I never carried an umbrella either up there and let the hair do what it may.

Jeanette said...

Its got a great feel of rain to it and the shot of colour in the umbrella works beautifully.

Dan Kent said...

I like the dark light contrast and especially the pink umbrella! Speaking of art terms, I was babbling on about en plein air and my wife said I was mispronouncing it so we plugged the question into google and who do you think we found? :)

Eden Compton Pastels and Oils said...

I like the shapes in this Celeste! I also like the pink umbrella - good choice!

Jane said...

This is very good, love how you made the man in the foreground seem to be just flashing by quickly.

Virginia Floyd said...

Very nice! Happy Friday!

Ralph said...

Ah that is what an umbrella is for. LOL another great work.

DJ said...

Pure yumminess!