Thursday, April 19, 2012

Thursday!

Every third Thursday evening I meet with the Columbia River Art Group.  Each of us are assigned a date to give a talk/demonstration. My date came up tonight and the topic was "turning form". Afterwards the painters shared their paintings for discussion and critique. We also talked about frames, work schedules and upcoming commitments/receptions.

Earlier in the day I had the pleasure of going on a field trip with family to the Evergreen Aviation Museum (slideshow below). Highlights were the Spruce Goose (of course), a part of the Berlin Wall, numerous gorgeous aircraft, a wonderful docent named Jack Dent, Lots of Aviation art and a 3-D film about the Boeing 787 Dreamliner. It was a fantastic visual day from start to finish...hoping yours was a good one too! :)

(Top Photo) Oil Sketch, Celeste Bergin, Sample Apple, oil on 9x12 canvas paper

14 comments:

Dave Castillo said...

the apple looks to be a good example for your talk. I have been to the museum several times. Good photos

CrimsonLeaves said...

What a fabulous day you had! What do you mean by "turning," Celeste? I am super curious! Your painting of the apple first brought to mind candied apples, which I love, then Snow White. It is beautiful!

Libby Fife said...

That looks like a really fun trip! Thanks for sharing the pictures-I would not have seen that museum otherwise so the slide show was a treat!

L.W.Roth, said...

The apple appears to definitely have volume --a tricky handling of half light and direct light. I'm okay with that, not as adept as you--so I do not paint apples no matter who asks. LOL.

I'm going to have to pass that museum along to my Seattle son. They take short jaunts your way. I don't know if they say the spruce goose. They should.

John Simlett said...

You lead a busy life, Celeste.

The apple looks good enough to eat.

I spent a large part of my life as an Aviator - so I particularly liked the slide show. I'm sure I can see a Sabre jet in there (Korean War).

I had a year's commission with an aviation museum, designing philatelic First Day Covers for them.

Sadami said...

Hi, Celeste,
Only the issue is I cannot give it a big bite!
Cheers, Sadami

BoholstWife said...

your apple is also good for our heart....nice pics,i enjoyed them.

BoholstWife said...

your apple is also good for our heart....nice pics,i enjoyed them.

hw (hallie) farber said...

Great apple--I'm not sure I could paint and talk at the same time.

Michael Lindstrom said...

Celeste, it was a great meeting last night. Thank you for your insightful lesson on painting values as they go around an object. Great photos of the museum, certainly an artfilled day for you. And thank for being a valued member of our small, but mighty group.

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

Your apple looks great and a perfect example of turning form.

The Evergreen Aviation Museum is a great place to spend some time. Wasn't the Spruce Goose interesting? I wasn't sure what to expect when we first saw it ... What can I say, BIG comes to mind.

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

Your apple looks great and a perfect example of turning form.

The Evergreen Aviation Museum is a great place to spend some time. Wasn't the Spruce Goose interesting? I wasn't sure what to expect when we first saw it ... What can I say, BIG comes to mind.

Maritza said...

Qué lindo es verte con los pinceles en la mano, Celeste!! ;)

HERMOSA MANZANA!! mmm...Es muy real!

Abrazos grandes.

Harry Kent said...

Fabulous apple. No wonder Snow White was tempted.