Sunday, May 27, 2012

Sunday.....in the Neighborhood

I'm "warming up" to do more Urban Sketching...so I went to the Rain or Shine Coffee House on Division today for a cup of coffee and a quick sketch.

I'm enjoying experimenting with a variety of pens and pencils.

Almost everyone at the coffee house was engaged on their iphones and computers instead of with one another. Of course, I was just "as bad", as I paid most attention to my camera and my sketchbook.

(Click to Enlarge)
This sketch allowed me to show off my ability to write backwards with ease (see the signage in the windows). Unfortunately, I've never had many occasions calling for this skill. 
..........................................!did I...yadnuS taerg a dah uoy epoh I

Sketch: Celeste Bergin, Rain or Shine Coffee House, ink & watercolor in Moleskine

11 comments:

John Simlett said...

A busy/happy sort of day. :0)

Once upon a time, I found myself in an underground Combat Operations Centre (or center if you prefer). Here facing me was a glass wall, two stories high. Behind it lots of people were writing BACKWARDS on the glass wall, in coloured (or colored if you prefer) chinograph pencils.

All the information on my side appeared the 'right-way round'.

As it was all lit from the bottom the writing seemed to be hanging in mid air. Very artistic, albeit there was little art in writing that said, typically: "ML48 @ Battle Stations @ 1940Z"

martinealison said...

Il est parfois amusant et décontractant de s'essayer à de nouveaux supports et crayons divers... Très certainement même nécessaire, tout comme un pianiste fait ses gammes...
Merci pour cette douce publication...
Gros bisous

ps : Un gros bisou aussi pour ce si élogieux commentaire. MERCI Céleste.

CrimsonLeaves said...

Now that is indeed a skill! And it is fabulous. Love that sketch and as always you've kept art in your day. Inquiring minds want to know who you were having coffee with???

Sadami said...

Hi, Celeste,
I love this post so much!! Hope you have more opportunities to use your wonderful talent in writing.
Cheers,Sadami ʚ(ˆ◡ˆ)ɞ

Celeste Bergin said...

Martine wrote:
Sometimes it is fun and relaxing to try out new formats and various pencils ... Certainly even necessary, as a pianist through their paces ...
Thank you for the sweet release ...
big kisses

ps: A big kiss for that also so appreciative comment. THANK Celeste.

___________________
Thanks, Martine!

Celeste Bergin said...

Thanks, John, Martine, Sherry and Sadami!
John..your story is very cool indeed, I can imagine lots of people writing backward on glass would be amazing!
Sherry, Dave B is the paparazzi.
Thanks all!

David Castillo Starr said...

Celeste, you have totally inspired me to start sketching in public places. I am no good at it, but it is absolutely fun. I especially like the Moleskine.

David Castillo Starr said...

PS I could meet you at thhe Rain and Shine

hw (hallie) farber said...

I've always been able to write backwards and upside down, too. Maybe we wrote on those glass walls during a previous life. Love your sketch.

Linda Popple said...

Yes, I had a great Sunday and love your sketch!

Page Railsback said...

You are fun..love your blog..aren't you a bit young for Expressway to your heart? I enjoyed that..oh yeah