Thursday, May 10, 2012

Thursday!

Today was an extraordinarily sunny day, so why is there a rainy scene on my easel? I can't tell you... except I had it started and I was partially inspired by watching Craig Srebnik's monochromatic demonstration earlier today (at OSA). When you limit color you can better concentrate on strong shapes and values. I'm not finished with this. I'll work on it more later.

Srebnik is so organized and neat.  He never slops paint...still they brought out an unecessary tarp for him to stand on.

After the demo we had lunch and Loretta 'unwittingly' modeled for us. Next time we are making her bring a sketchbook too. To see Carrie's sketch, go HERE

Top photo: Celeste Bergin, Study, oil on 10x10 canvas panel
2nd photo Craig Srebnik
3rd photo: Celeste Bergin, Sketch of Loretta, ink and watercolor

12 comments:

Dan Kent said...

I will never get tired of your rainy day paintings (whether there is rain, or not). I love the subdued colors and the suggestion of so much in broad strokes.

hw (hallie) farber said...

Intriguing on my sidebar--even better here.

SamArtDog said...

You're really good at suggestive marks. So few say so much.

Linda Popple said...

love your "rain" paintings!!

BoholstWife said...

wonderful celeste

Boris Estebitan said...

Hola, buen blog y que tengas un buen fin de semana, te invito de manera cordial a que visites el Blog de Boris Estebitan y leas un poema mio titulado ”Diluvio Eterno”, es un poema triste pero al mismo tiempo profundo, saludos.

John Simlett said...

I like being naive, it allows me to say naive things, such as: when I look at the image on the screen, it's as if I'm standing back looking at it from a distance. When I click on the picture and it fills the screen, I can see the brush work up close through the artist's eye.
Either way, it's fascinatingly enchanting.

Someone tell me why I think it looks French!!

CrimsonLeaves said...

Gosh, Celeste! First of all, I just love your palette in the top piece. It is gorgeous! Can't wait to see that one finished. And what an awesome profile Loretta has. You did a beautiful job on that as well.

Now, I just wish I could spend my days filled with art like you do. I'd just be thrilled to pieces!

Virginia Floyd said...

Love the depth in this painting!

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

His work is beautiful. Thanks for sharing it with us. I can see where you were inspired. Great rainy day painting.

Nora MacPhail said...

Magnificent! I like the splash of water at her feet.

Libby Fife said...

I so like your rainy day scenes! Great use of a limited palette too-that idea really appeals to me:)