Saturday, June 9, 2012

Link the Darks

One of the best things I was reminded of while studying with Craig Srebnik recently was: "Link the Darks!" I've heard it a number of times from different sources, but it is an easy thing to forget. (If one remembers to do it, however, the results will be much stronger than if one doesn't remember to do it!) Case-in-point... Here is a drawing that I dashed out tonight because I needed something for the blog. I spent less than an half an hour on it, but it's not bad (even though I drew it on the wrong side of the paper). I linked the darks, and that is why it doesn't suck.  Here are the steps:

1. I drew the outline (from a photo reference) paying attention to where the darks will go

2. I put the dark in as one major shape, (none of that drawing one eye/one nostril thing..everything is massed together!)

3. I added the middle tones

4. Then....I use a kneaded eraser to remove areas from the darks (for definition). Voila! A quick drawing with good shapes...that holds up from across the room.

Drawing: Celeste Bergin, White Horse, charcoal on 11x14 paper

15 comments:

ashok said...

very interesting!

David Castillo Starr said...

This is helpful! Thank you!

David Castillo Starr said...

what is the wrong side of the paper

martinealison said...

... et c'est ainsi que la vie apparaît...
Bravo Céleste...
Gros bisous

Beau T said...

Beautiful horse drawing! and interesting technique

CrimsonLeaves said...

It would have taken me weeks to draw this, Celeste. This is strong indeed and there is something about the eye that makes me want to pet this beauty.

Celeste Bergin said...

Martine wrote:

And this is true and how life is ... Congratulations Celeste ... big kisses

(Thanks Martine)

Celeste Bergin said...

Thank you ashok, David, Martine, Beau T and Sherry! Dave, this was Strathmore paper, both sides are textured, but one side more than the other. The smoother side is generally preferred. :)

L.W.Roth, said...

Every artist needs a knead eraser or four. They are the handiest subtractive tool. Wonderful demonstration of it's use. And thank you for giving me an idea of how to reapproach the painting of Rain.

John Simlett said...

...and, what's more, it really works.
Love illustrated techniques ... thanks for this, Celeste - most useful ... but too late for the 'Monster': just finished!

Dean H. said...

Well done, Celeste! That's a good one to remember!

Carolyn Rondthaler said...

It turned out to be very compelling. Thanks for the reminder about linking the darks....I need to be told over and over and over and over etc!!!!

Erik van Elven said...

It even holds up from across the Atlantic :)
Great post Celeste.

Maritza said...

HERMOSÍSIMO! ME FASCINAN LOS CABALLOS...

FELICITACIONES!

ABRAZOS DESDE CHILE.

Celeste Bergin said...

Maritza wrote:
Beautiful! I am fascinated ... CONGRATULATIONS! HUGS FROM CHILE.

(Thanks Maritza!)