Thursday, June 7, 2012

Mary Cassatt copy

Today I came across this copy of a Mary Cassatt painting that I did a few years ago.  I posted it on my blog back then and I remember the guy in California (who never tires of offering me advice) taking the trouble to email me to tell me that the hat was too big. Well, tell Mary Cassatt, I replied (because the shapes are pretty faithful to the original). Looking at it today I think I could do a better overall job of it now and maybe I'll tackle it again some rainy day.

Painting: Celeste Bergin, Girl in Straw Hat after Mary Cassatt, oil on 16x20

10 comments:

JD said...

nice portrait, excellent!

JD said...

nice portrait, excellent!

Sadami said...

Hi, Celeste,
Very cute. Your colour use fascinates me so much!
Cheers, Sadami

Celeste Bergin said...

uh..... it was actually Mary Cassatt's color use, Sadami! but ...thanks!

CrimsonLeaves said...

Oh boy! I think this is beautiful. I've only seen a couple of Cassat's pieces on line but I absolutely adore her work.

Libby Fife said...

I don't know. The hat works fine-makes her look like more of a child and adds to that wanna be grown up quality. why not?

nouvelles couleurs - vienna atelier said...

Great omage to the great Mary Cassat

Virginia Floyd said...

That was always one of my favorite paintings. I recognized it immediately. Good job!

L.W.Roth, said...

The past is the past. It looks wonderful and I am familiar with that painting. You did a fine job. Mary would congratulate you herself.

David Castillo Starr said...

the hat is too big and she is too sad but I still like this painting