Saturday, June 23, 2012

Saturday!

Here is the painting I did today. It's painted from a photo reference atop a black gessoed surface.... just as an exercise!

Dave Burbach & I met Dave and Char McBride and Michael and Victoria Lindstrom today at Eastmoreland Golf Club for lunch.  (It was raining pretty hard, but that didn't deter the golfers. The parking lot was 3/4's full).

After lunch we got to make a field trip to Dave McBride's studio that is not far from the golf course. (The name of his studio is "Flying Bird")

Dave showed us his easel that is mounted on a wall.  He learned this from William Park. This type of system means that you have to paint completely upright, but Dave likes it a lot. He can put any size panel on the wall and he can adjust the cross bar so that he can either sit or stand.

We also got to meet Dave & Char's dog, Mocha. Mocha made us all want to take him home with us, but the McBrides insist on keeping him. Dang!

Yesterday I saw the movie Crumb for the first time. (It's been out for 17 years, and I remember that it was very popular).  Crumb really made me want to try my hand at sketching with a quill pen. I bought one for a couple of bucks today at Muse. Muse is moving into this corner building, but they are still operational next door in the meantime.

That is my full Saturday report....I hope that YOU are having a great weekend! What are you doing? Tell!

(Top Photo) Painting: Celeste Bergin, Rasmussen's Farm, oil on 9 x 12 (black) gessoed canvas panel

9 comments:

Sadami said...

Hi, Celeste,
Quick watercolour painting, shopping, cooking, choir, nice time with frineds like ye!!
Cheers,wink,wink,Sadami

John Simlett said...

Your painting reminds me of Cyprus ... I can almost smell the orange grove.

You had a busy Saturday by the looks of it. I spent ALL day on this English assignment (never thought I'd need a calculator in English study - Lexical density)

I like the idea of a vertical drawing board/easel. I wonder how most people carry on... I start by sitting but spend most of the time standing,

Floriana Quaini said...

Ciao,
I like the colours and the atmosphere...warm and free!
I find very interesting tha studio of your friend and a good idea to paint in every position!
Ciao, ciao, Floriana

Maritza said...

Bella pintura, que me recuerda a los temas que escogía mi padre para pintar...se parece demasiado a su estilo.
Me trajiste recuerdos, Celeste...

Besos y abrazos.
Feliz domingo!

CrimsonLeaves said...

Yesterday I slept off and on all day long, Celeste. I did absolutely nothing. Today? After running out to my brothers (which means a good three hours in the car at least), I hope to give today to both drawing and maybe painting, then do some sewing.

Your Saturday sounds much more fun than mine did. Where do you get your energy! You are always on the go!

Dean H. said...

Your cup runneth over, Celeste! :)
It's fun seeing you out with your friends.
Love the painting! The strong diagonal sets it apart.

David Castillo Starr said...

The radiating sky in your painting feels like summer.
Thanks for the tour. The wall easel is a functional space saver. I want one.

Dan Kent said...

Your "just an exercise" is stunning!

hw (hallie) farber said...

I spent Saturday cleaning our air purifiers--that's because I should be writing a bio for a group art show. I added a few stars to my spaceship painting and then cleaned some brushes. (Found some leftover Easter Peeps in my studio--ate those.)