Sunday, June 24, 2012

Sunday .....!

When R. Crumb was wildly popular (over the course of around 30-40 years, beginning with the "Keep on Truckin" visual) I was not a fan. Indeed...I thoroughly disliked most of his work. ("Mr. Natural" was especially disturbing). Recently, however,  I saw the movie Crumb and suddenly I could agree with the genius that everyone else saw earlier. Suffice it to say, you'd have to see the film to truly understand. I loved watching him draw with a quill pen...there is much that is old-time-y about him, which is paradoxical, since he was always railing against the status quo. Shouldn't he have been wearing bell bottoms instead of looking like Groucho Marx?  
R. Crumb now lives in France, having gotten completely fed up with the US. In the supplemental part of the film Crumb provides a succinct (and accurate) run down of how the economy got broken.  The film was released 17 years ago. 

(Top Photo) Celeste Bergin, R. Crumb from booklet, pen & ink on Strathmore vellum paper. 


12 comments:

Sadami said...

Hi, Celeste,
Mmmm! Nice! I feel your warm cheers for him.
Kind regards, Sadami

CrimsonLeaves said...

Super interesting post, Celeste. The visuals I remember...wasn't it a guy with one foot forward (and all the perspective issues that go with it), cartoon-y? Didn't know who started that phrase, drew the visuals, or even heard of Crumb before. Love your portrait of him and yes, it is quite a dichotomy from the images I remember. What I think is funny is that each country has its own breakdowns in economy, in leadership, etc. Ultimately, one isn't much better than the next, it seems.

Linda Popple said...

I like your sketch! I just ordered Crumb on Netflix. I know nothing about him so looking forward to seeing the film.

Lisa Graham Art said...

I really love your drawing of him. I do not know who he is. Now I am curious. Thanks for the lesson! :)

Lisa Graham Art said...

Have you ever seen "Seraphine"? I thought it was excellent.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm2143979520/tt1048171

John Simlett said...

Never heard of him ... which means little: Pat says I've heard of nobody.
The artwork looks familiar though.

Funny about bell-bottoms; these days if you want to be a Bohemian/Hippy or simply 'way out' ... a three-piece suit and neck-tie is the only way to look different.

Now Gaucho Marx ...."Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana," is my favourite quote! (think about it)... I always remember him!

You mentioned maybe I should blog about framing. Well, I'm off to a new framer/printer in Sheffield, tomorrow. Will report back!

PAMO ART said...

Crumb is a master! I have the DVD and it was very good- yet also disturbing.
His dedication to his art is evident. His wife in the film also made alternative comics.
An interesting fellow with a fairly extreme history.
Thanks for the review Celeste! A wonderful sketch too!

L.W.Roth, said...

The movie was wonderful as was the cartoonist. Cartoonists are marvelous artists. I considered going that way quite a while ago, but never developed an idea that I could expound upon. I think Pamo is very talented in this field.

martinealison said...

Un très joli dessin...
Je ne connaissais pas ce Monsieur Crumb... J'apprends !
gros bisous

Celeste Bergin said...

Thanks, Sadami, Sherry, Linda, Lisa, John, PAMO, LW and Martine! I sincerely appreciate your comments :)

Celeste Bergin said...

Martine wrote:

A very nice drawing ...
I did not know what Mr. Crumb ... I'm learning!
big kisses

thanks Martine!

David Castillo Starr said...

Good ink drawing. I do see Groucho