Saturday, July 21, 2012

Cow Sketch

This is a oil sketch, based on a previous painting.I've been hanging around with Michael Lindstrom and I thought I would try to emulate some of his impasto painting style. I succeeded in some areas....great fun and I might revisit it, after it dries some, so I can go even thicker. 

(..and here is Michael and Nila, members of the Columbia River Art Group, in a recent art discussion meeting). During the last get together we talked about how artists often form groups...but enjoy painting in solitary too. The ideal, one presumes, might be to strike that balance, so one is not doing too much of one or the other. 
I'm very grateful for my art friends!

(Top photo) Oil sketch, Celeste Bergin, Cow, oil on 8x8 gessoed hardboard
Photo 2 Michael Lindstrom and Nila Baker




9 comments:

CrimsonLeaves said...

That is one kissable cow face! I just want to give that little one a hug. I thought the impasto-ish effects in my gorgeous ship painting were just exquisite, Celeste. I suspect this is not going to be a problem for you. I love that one with your talents is always learning too! I too am grateful for those loyal friends of yours. I wish I had a few artist friends around these here parts. Ah well...at least I have my internet artist friends always encouraging me.

Dean H. said...

A great subject plus a liberating style! Made to order for enjoyment! Good one, Celeste!

Libby Fife said...

You do have a lot of art buddies and spend time alone. I envy that great mix! Hope you have a good weekend:)

Jeanette said...

Love it! Oh yes, do more like this, its great.

PAMO ART said...

Ah- a FABULOUS cow!!! You can paint anything!!!!
I suppose this is the beauty of blogging- artistic company.
I feel like you are an art friend even though I've never met you in person. Amazing how you do that!

Thanks for everything... sharing your beautiful art and your beautiful self.

Michael Lindstrom said...

Holy Cow, Celeste! Its so alive and fresh. The textures and paint quality are awesome. Of course you know i would love this, and i am sure Nila digs on the colors....
I so much appreciate our little group and other art friends as well.
Thanks for sharing this!

Celeste Bergin said...

thanks, Sherry, Dean, Libby, Jeanette, Pamo and Michael! :)

Nora MacPhail said...

Your cow is looking great. I like his expression, it's subtle, but it's there.

David Castillo Starr said...

Good looking cow.