Sunday, July 29, 2012

Sketching at the Portland Art Museum & Brooks' Open House

I went back to the California Impressionism show at the Portland Art Museum today. I sprung for the "maximum" amount of time on the parking meter so that I could take my time and sketch from some of the paintings.  I sketched three paintings and it was pure fun to spend time considering each one. I'll likely do this a couple more times before the end of the show.

I also got to spend time visiting with Brooks Hickerson in the afternoon. Brooks is a painting buddy and he lives downtown.  His Condo is a perfect "home base" to get anywhere in the core of Portland within minutes.......Brooks is considered THE Downtown painter! (He is also known for his bright yellow slicker. He paints in the pouring rain and the slicker is his "trademark").  Slideshow below

8 comments:

B Boylan said...

Celeste, next time you have the itch to go back to see the Impressionist show, lemme know and let's hook up. Always fun to go with another artist. :)

Page Railsback said...

Love your sketch..the party looks good too

Michael Lindstrom said...

Looks like it was a great day Celeste! I bet doing value skeches was a kick.

CrimsonLeaves said...

Another fabulous art-filled day! You always have them, Celeste, and I'm in complete and utter awe (and a smattering of envy if truth be told). Oddly enough, in Chicago, you do not have to plug the meters on Sundays. I'm sure that won't last forever as one day someone will think about that and decide that it is another way to slice money off the people.

Libby Fife said...

What a great painting! And a good idea too to study composition while there. Love the bright yellow slicker of your friend; you are so lucky to have such a varied "downtown" life.

L.W.Roth, said...

I loved the painting with the downtown painter, Brooks, in his yellow slicker. You do know there isn't another color more appropriate for a slicker. Brooks is high style.

Dan Kent said...

What a cool thing to do!

Dan Kent said...

What a cool thing to do!