Thursday, July 26, 2012

Thursday!

I am invited to participate (with 40+ other brilliant plein air painters) in Portland Art Museum's Invitational Plein Air Paint Out that takes place August 4 & 5. It will be held on the grounds of the Museum and in the Park blocks in front of the Museum. The event is in tandem with the Califonia Impressionism exhibit, (60 gorgeous) paintings on loan from the Irvine Museum. (For a list of the painters in the invitational click HERE). Please come out and see us...you KNOW it is going to be fantastic!

It's a fun chore for me to have to go drive my Spitfire every week (to keep it running well...it's an old car, so it needs this kind of pampering). The Spitfire is garaged across town and on the way back I was behind the silver car (pictured above) for a few blocks. I just knew that this was a special car, not only because of how sleek it looked, but also because of how it sounded. When I got home I looked up the logo...the car I took notice of is a Bentley. What a car! I bring all this up because I thought of the parallel between art and a car like that one.  Many people, even those who profess to not knowing much about visual art, can and do instinctively spot what is special...what stands out. Like the hummm of a fine machine, good art will not go unnoticed. (This is why you should not miss the California Impressionism exhibit. It's like one Bentley after another).

(Top photo) Painting: Celeste Bergin, Sunset over the Sandy River, oil on 6x8 canvas panel

13 comments:

CrimsonLeaves said...

Funny post for me, my friend. Why? Because when I notice something that I really like the looks of? (Sorry for that grammar!) It always tends to be super expensive. I have a knack for liking expensive things (not that I own them, mind you) and an eye for the different as well. Always have had. Hadn't realized Bentleys came in such a sleek and modern style. I still picture them as large, expensive cars, rather like an old Rolls Royce or something. Thanks for posting the photo so I can pull myself up out of the dark ages for a minute! LOL

Love this gorgeous painting too! Wish I could come visit the exhibit!

Ralph said...

And your art will never go unnoticed because it is indeed very special.

Maritza said...

Las luces y sombras que el sol provoca en los árboles y el agua, son espectaculares.
Es muy mágica tu pintura, Celeste.

Te felicito!
Abrazos grandes.

(Visítame, se te extraña).

Celeste Bergin said...

Maritza wrote:

The lights and shadows that the sun causes the trees and water are spectacular.
Your painting is very magical, Celeste.

Congratulations!
Big hugs.

(thanks Maritza!)

L.W.Roth, said...

The colors in this painting are extraordinary Celeste as are the brush strokes. Congratulations on the invitational. I wish I could join you.

As for the Bentley, my baby has dreamed about owning a Bentley since he was in the army. He came home on leave once after going through boot camp where he was harassed to the point of nightmares. One night he sat straight up in bed and still asleep said, "I'll take the Bentley," I guess that was the only car that would ease the shock and humiliation he had just endured.

I'm a Jaguar fan myself. Its the only car on the road I can point out and name--but the original English Jaguar, the Jaguar before Ford fussed with it, the spruce green with luggage interior beauty with keepsake hood ornament. Magnificent design--even though Car and Driver said it was always in the garage for repairs. Not anymore.

hw (hallie) farber said...

What a great analogy--Bentley/good art.

That painting at the top is a Bentley.

hmuxo said...

Congratulations, Celeste!! Wish I can join you. Your paintings are wonderful.

Dean H. said...

Love the great sunset, Celeste!!
Congrats on the exciting invitational!

diffident.bother said...

Gorgeous painting! And cool that you'll be participating in the PAM paintout!

Jenny Short said...

Beautiful late summer colors. My garden is full of the muted and olive greens now. Good luck with the painting and exhibition. xo Jenny

Dan Kent said...

Congratulations on the invite! Really cool. [Sigh], I wish I were in Portland where all of the plein air painters are brilliant. I signed up for a plein air competition here and then decided that what I really want is to go out with a group in a non-competitive environment first to get a feel for how to do it. So I didn't go to the competition and the group I joined has had not one single event in months - not one! [Heavier sigh]. ;)

And you, my dear are our Bentley, imho.

Very interesting combo of colors in this painting.

Michael Lindstrom said...

Great and bold colors you used in this painting Celeste! Also, nice connection between cars and art, i agree. Take care of the Spitfire!

John Simlett said...

Talk about coincidences ... I sat in a car park yesterday, waiting for Pat. Opposite was a black Bentley convertable, open to the elements (stopped raining days ago) Tan leather ... wow. Out walked the owner - a smoothie. He was childish enough to look to see if I was watching... but I out-childished him by pretending to be asleep!

The sound of his engine was not as artistic as your wonderful painting though!