Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Painting from the center of the stream

Some time ago I saw a photo of a painter who set up smack dab in the middle of a stream. Someday I'll do the same, I thought, when the opportunity presents itself. Today was the day! I went to Tideman  Johnson Park (on the list of places to paint for the Johnson Creek Watershed Art Event). Verdict: painting from the center of the stream is cooool!  Results: a pretty good start of a painting, but it's too late to photograph it. Instead I'll post another painting (below) that could be submitted for the Johnson Creek exhibit  (it's from Reed Lake). I hope this post inspires another painter to get their feet wet too! Just make sure you are wearing shoes with rubber-y tread.

Painting: Celeste Bergin, Reed Lake/Reed Canyon, Pastel on sanded paper, 9x12

14 comments:

Hornbill said...

Interesting !

Did the fish bite?

Do visit my photo blog and comment

http://hornbill-hornbill.blogspot.com

Linda Popple said...

looks like a great place to paint on a warm summer day! Looking forward to seeing your painting. The one posted is really nice .... love the colors!

Dan Gliubizzi said...

Very cool way to spend time!

Sadami said...

Hi, Celeste,
Wow, the photos are Really like your art work! So coool and beautiful!! (*were your feet ok in the water?) Enjoy mother nature!
Cheers, Sadami

Jeanette said...

Love it! What a great way to paint and a great painting as a result.

CrimsonLeaves said...

Look how perfectly you've matched the sky color, Celeste! And I'll bet you were indeed kept cool. Sigh...serenity in painting. Who knew? Love the pastel piece too. Your talents are unceasing, my friend.

Dean H. said...

Wish I were there to paint a picture of you painting in that stream, Celeste! :) Looks so COOL!
I really like the lake painting that's posted. The focal point is undeniable!

Dan Kent said...

Hah! Now that's the way to paint! Bet it added another element of excitement to the whole process. Next time someone asks if you do plein air, you can look at them casually and say, "well, I've gotten my feet wet." Great pastel - you are adept at many a medium.

SamArtDog said...

Well, at least I can tell you had a life guard with you!

L.W.Roth, said...

Aren't you brave. You really do need some shoes with a grip on those slippery rocks. There are wader boots and also water gym shoes. I would think wader boots would be best--you know the kind fly fisherman use. The scenery looks great for painting--and the painting you did show is wonderful. Did you use Thalo blue green to get the color of that reflection on the water?

Celeste Bergin said...

thanks Linda, Sam, Dan, Dean, Sherry, Sadami, Jeanette, Dan, Linda and Hornbill...! LInda..I imagine that pastel was indeed a thalo/blue green--they were pastels I made so they aren't named by a manufacturer. :)

hmuxo said...

First of all, this painting is truly a beautiful piece..Perfect reflections...The water looks too cold for me to stand in it. LOL

hw (hallie) farber said...

A beautiful painting--and you made your own pastels! I've been in the water at our dock only once--squishy mud. I'll wade when I visit your stream in Oregon.

Lori Putnam said...

Just stay out of the middle of the road!