Saturday, August 11, 2012

Saturday!

This morning I attended Craig Srebnik's equestrian demonstration. He painted it from his photo reference. It took around two hours and came out great. Craig told us a lot of painters feel compelled to "complete" the entire object instead of suggesting and indicating light and breaking up the edges. His demonstration showed us exactly what he meant. 
He told us he will add more paint to it later. If you get a chance to watch Craig paint sometime....do it!

I went for a walk today through the neighborhood. These flowers reminded me of Pam Holnback's recent painting.

Checked out a new antique store in Montavilla. It's called Ambrosia. (She doesn't have a website yet). See that fish on the front table? It's from Portugal and it has a lid. The owner thinks it has to be a dish for sauces. If it is still there when I go back, I may have to have it.

Stopped into Pastrygirl. The owner was busy making wedding cakes. I sketched while drinking some tea (yes, tea!) It was plenty hot today, but one customer wore cowboy boots ....instead of sandals. Ahh, Portland.

2-minute pencil sketch, Celeste Bergin, Cowboy Boots, in sketchbook

On the walk back this little dog said Hello. I told her I'd blog her. Her name is (appropriately) Summer!

11 comments:

Linda Popple said...

Always love your posts!

CrimsonLeaves said...

You always looks so darned cute! Love the little sketch, especially the lady's stance. Cute rules the day on your Saturday, Celeste! And boy! Do I love going to antique stores!

hmuxo said...

Wonderful 2 minute sketch, Celeste...and it looks like a wonderful demo...I clicked on Craig Srebnik's site....he does some amazing work!! thank you for sharing.

Libby Fife said...

Feel like I went for a fun stroll! Thanks:)

David Castillo Starr said...

Just say no to fish dishes, Celeste! One of these days I want to go sketching with you.

David Castillo Starr said...

I am signing up for Srebnik's next plein air event.

L.W.Roth, said...

Good outing. I'd get the fish dish. As for cowboy boots? Good for drawing, that's it. Too hot to cover lock up toes. Toe cruelty actually.

Suggesting is the key to gesture painting--it's easy to suggest, but difficult to do, until one has complete control over their brush strokes. I'm about to learn the hard way.

Dean H. said...

Good to see ya hard at work, even while having a spot of tea!!

Celeste Bergin said...

thanks,Dean H. LindaLW, Dave, Libby, hmuxo, Sherry and Linda! I appreciate your comments! :)

Dan Kent said...

I see your hat needs glasses to see, but you are fine without. :) tea and sketching - near to heaven. I thought I commented the other day on your painting "reading in the park" - magnificent!

Michael Lindstrom said...

You really had a full day, C. I'm sure Craigs demo was great, but i am curious why you didn't choose the shoes.....