Thursday, August 30, 2012

Thursday!

This is a color sketch that I did at Tideman-Johnson a week ago. I like it alot...but I didn't finalize it. Edgar Payne would have classified this composition as a "tunnel-type"...and, as is the case with several other "tunnels" I've painted, I'm seeing a big old face in the center together with some other things that have appeared like optical illusions. It happens! Once you see raccoons and things that you didn't intend to paint, you can't NOT see them.

I'm submitting three pieces I'm more confident about to the Johnson Creek Watershed Exhibit just under the deadline. It was great fun to paint for the show (and there will be a reception at the beautiful Reed College, Vollum Hall on September 7, 2012).

Oil sketch: Celeste Bergin, Pathway at Tideman-Johnson, oil on 6x6 gessoed paper

11 comments:

Casey Klahn said...

A good lesson - I will be watching for that now.

CrimsonLeaves said...

Oh I do love a tree-lined path like this, perfect shadows and dapples of sun make me just want to step right into this piece. Truly beautiful work, as always, Celeste.

Sharon Wright said...

Lovely movement and colour.

hmuxo said...

This is an excellent painting, Celeste!

Libby Fife said...

I sure like the idea of this one though but I admit that I don't see any wildlife:)

Virginia Floyd said...

I just had so much fun reading about your week! I love all the comments about the colors. I can't name all of them. You have several reds that I don't regularly use.

Love this little sketch. But I don't see a face!

SamArtDog said...

HA HA HA! Who thought up racketycoons, anyway? And, listen up, all you bank robbers... who thought up a MASK as a disguise? Like they HIDE anything? Hey! Look over here! You can tell it's me; I'm the one with the MASK!

L.W.Roth, said...

I like all the energy in this tunnel sketch. I do know about seeing hidden images, but I think they make the painting special to us for we've included them subconsciously or accidentally making the painting sort of a self portrait.

diffident.bother said...

Lovely! :-)

Pam Holnback said...

Love the strong light of this piece.

David Castillo Starr said...

seems wrong to banish the raccoon. It wouldn't be there if it weren't invited