Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Wednesday--!

Here's a very quick plein air sketch I did today. I painted it over something else that had a similar foreground...that's why it is already signed. How efficient! It's just a practice painting, so I doubt that it will find it's way to a frame...we'll see. Sometimes I change my mind.

I also re-stated a few darks and lights to the lady in the hat. Can you tell the difference? (see Tuesday post below).

Finally, I spent a couple of hours this afternoon adding paint into 125 ml jars. Yeah, yeah, I know TUBES of paint are convenient...but I have it on good authority that this is a cost-saving system and I'm willing to give it a shot. I painted the tops of the jars and put them into one storage case. (Can you name the colors? ) Big prize if you can!



(Top Photo) Plein Air Painting, Celeste Bergin, Summer Day, oil on 8x8 canvas panel
(2nd Photo) Painting, Celeste Bergin, Woman in a hat, oil on 9x12 canvas

10 comments:

Carrie H. said...

Yeah, I can name all the colors!!!! What's my prize?
You should already know them though since you just bought them......

I like this little practice painting... Is this my prize? Ha Ha!

CrimsonLeaves said...

That Carrie! LOL I love this piece, Celeste. The distant field is so superbly painted and so true to life. I also love the falling leaves. The hints of the season to come!

Great idea to paint the colors on the lids and also, I love the added shadowing to the portrait. It lends more to her bone structure and is perfect!

Maritza said...

Maravilloso! Cómo no va a ser para marco?? ;)

FELICITACIONES POR TU QUEHACER, CELESTE.
Con admiración, un abrazo grande desde Chile.

hmuxo said...

This quick plein air sketch is wonderful, Celeste...and I definitely see a difference in your portrait. It's so much nicer adding the darker values.

Celeste Bergin said...

Maritza wrote:

Wonderful! How could it not be to frame?? ;)

CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR TASK, CELESTE.
With admiration, a big hug from Chile.

(thanks, Maritza!)

David Castillo Starr said...

Left to Right, Cad Yellow light, Cad Yellow Med, Cad Orange, Cad Red Light, Cad Red, Napathol(?) Red, Burnt Sienna, Ultramarine, Cobalt, Viridian, ?, Raw Umber, Yellow Ochre, Black, White.

L.W.Roth, said...

I do that with acrylics. It never occurred to me to do it with oils--now it has.

I could name all the colors too--shocked myself.

It's nice to breathe new life into something you had laying around and didn't care for that much. It's like doodling with paint. Relaxing.

John Simlett said...

If I had painted that 'sketch' I would think it a masterpiece!

The colours? (colors) eezy peezy:

there's yella, goldieish, orange and a red, then another type of red ... I'd better stop as I feel I might be getting too technical!"

Dan Kent said...

Let's see..yellow, yellow, orange .. how am I doing?

This is absolutely beautiful - it just kills me when you knock out a masterpiece and then call it practice! Love the high key happy spring-time feeling about this one.

(okay - I promise I did not see John's reference to a masterpiece before I wrote this).

hw (hallie) farber said...

No prize for me--John and Dan beat me to it. I usually call them "that red" and "that yellow."