Saturday, September 29, 2012

Family, past and present

I painted this in black and white several weeks ago and added a blue glaze to it, just to see what would happen. It's just one of those things that will go into a stack of "experiments".

A project on one of my endless to-do lists is to photograph all my old photographs (to share with those in my Bergin family).  This is my maternal Grandfather. I bet he never bowled, not even once. He worked and worked. I grew up without a father, so he was the only male figure in my growing up years, aside from my brother. He was a remote guy, not very demonstrative at all (he never hugged us, the dog is lucky!) ...still,  my brother and I knew that he loved us. I can't look at a photo of him and not smile.

Fast forward to today...here is our new grandbaby Eloise with mom Cacye. We're having a family party today to welcome Eloise into the Burbach family...is she cute or what?

Since beautiful babies abound, I'll also share this photo of another of my beautiful grandbabies...(I have five total and another on the way!) This is Olivia (do you love these old-fashioned names... I do!)

So, I am hoping you are having a great day full of happy thoughts, artful things and possibly a cherub or two too. What's on your docket!?

(Top Photo) Painting, Celeste Bergin, Strike!, oil on 6x6 gessoed hardboard

14 comments:

Carrie H. said...

Tony Soprano's mom was 'Olivia"
:) I also see Emma getting popular again.

Dean H. said...

Love the "striking" painting, Celeste!
The cherubs are beautiful!
The Grandfather photo is a real treasure.

Anonymous said...

I remember the bowling painting from before. I do not believe I have ever seen bowling depicted in a painting before. The blue makes sense. Lovely babies and I had a good Grandfather too. We'relucky that way.

Sheryl Anthony said...

the comment above was from me.

Linda Popple said...

Wonderful photos! I love being a grandmother - 9 grandchildren!

PAMO ART said...

Five grandbabies and another on the way?!! I love that!!!
Your maternal Grandfather looks friendly and like he really enjoys that sweet puppy.
Eloise and Cacye are both adorable and Olivia is picture perfect!

Of course I love your "experiment" too. I agree with Dean... striking. Hahaha!

hw (hallie) farber said...

Beautiful photos. There was not a lot of hugging in my family, either--maybe it was the times. I didn't get a chance to know my grandparents.

Sarah Bachhuber Peroutka said...

Go, Granny, go!

John Simlett said...

OK ... so I'm a numpty! I kept wondering why everyone was talking about bowling ... from first impressions on my sidebar, I came looking for, and found, a daisy from which petals were falling. Granted it wasn't a straightforward daisy, but then you wouldn't paint one of those would you? :0)

I'm a professional grandfather ... but I never knew any of my 'family' as my father was the black-sheep!

art by Michael Perchard said...

Great blog entry Celeste. It is so nice that your grandfather's photo makes you smile! His cap is fantastic! In the Boston, MA area those scally or longshoreman's caps are very popular! I am wearing one in my profile photo and I did a self portrait with one on! I also did a newsboy painting with the paper boy wearing one! So now you have me smiling while looking at your grandfather's photo!
I love the bowling painting! A strike for sure!
Take care and thanks for sharing.
Michael

Virginia Floyd said...

Grand babies are wonderful. I have an Olivia, also.

CrimsonLeaves said...

Oh thank you for sharing family photos, Celeste. Makes me feel closer to one of my bestest friends across the miles. The babies are all gorgeous and so is mom Cacye. I think you have your grandpa's cheeks!

Love the bowling pin piece. That would look awesome at your local bowling alley...(new venue, perhaps?)...

L.W.Roth, said...

Olivia is beautiful. A painting waiting your expert hand. Chronically the family history through photographs and notes is a wonder thing to do now that we have computers. I do that too. It's called The Roth File--not quite the Odessa File--but definitely intriguing to me.

John Simlett said...

Forgot the family ....sory!

It's the way it was ... hugging was a girl thing ... happened occasionally, man-hugging was a no no. :0) I bet he loved you all though, in his way.

Wonderful names, Eloise and Olivia, fotr two lovely girls

I had 3 sons and one daughter ... it was all about football (soccer to you). Not much hugging between us.

Four granddaughters followed, it was all about dolls houses and lots of hugging!