Monday, September 3, 2012

Monday ....Labor Day!

Today is Labor day and the fourth day of the Pacific NW Plein Air Competition. We found the location that was recommended, but we didn't see any painters there. We drove down to another area called "The Hook" and found painters Rowena Sanford and Dick Eaton...surveying the situation. The Hook was super-windy so we met back at the Waterfront park. Was it less windy there? Well, maybe a little, but my entire set up flew away (6 feet into the air, landing upside down) ....not once but twice! Inconvenient much..? My paint was full of sand and my linseed oil was slopped onto the rest of my equipment. GAH. I tried using my backpack to weigh down my tripod...but it didn't work all that well. In the end I asked Dave to hold it all down (a human anchor) just so I could paint this color sketch. Labor day, indeed!

(We wound up also seeing Kristin Godkin and her daughter, Diana Moses-Botkin and two of the writers who are participating in the event too). When we got back I framed the paintings that I am submitting. Tomorrow I'll turn them in. It was another REALLY fun day (despite the problems). For a slide show of the day....go HERE.

Oil sketch, Celeste Bergin, Hood River Waterfront, oil on 6x8 canvas panel

12 comments:

art by Michael Perchard said...

Good morning Celeste!
I love your blog and I love your art. Your paintings are magical. All well done and very successful. I very much enjoy looking at them.
Bravo!
I will drop by again.
Your art buddy,
Michael

CrimsonLeaves said...

The river brings action to this serene spot. Your palette is stunning, Celeste. Your eye for color is amazing. I love the colors in the middle ground especially. I must admit that the upheaval of my set up would have had me grumbling and packing it all in. So glad there aren't too many mes in this world. Thank you, Dave!

L.W.Roth, said...

Sounds like it was great fun. Your run in with the weather was just part of the event. All in all, it looks like it went quite well looking at your paintings.

David Castillo Starr said...

I agree wth Crimson, I would have no doubt quit. You were rewarded with a nice painting that captured the day

Dean H. said...

The conditions forced you to quickly paint at a very accomplished level, Celeste! Love the sectioning of color! Excellent first step=poster effect! Well done!

John Simlett said...

Loved the slide show - looked like a great time was had by all.

It's like the scores in the Olympics ... you scored a high mark for Artistic Impression (apart for the Russian judge ...tut!) ... and straight 10s for Degree of Difficulty!

Dan Kent said...

Wow! How long did he have to hold it down for you to get such a good sketch?! I'm wondering if maybe you can get the type of pegs with strings like they use on tents to secure your easel into the ground on windy days. They'd be lightweight and easy to carry and there for a wind emergency. Anyway 5 full days of plein air sounds like paradise (with wind).

Lisa Graham Art said...

It would be a challenge to paint in the elements when there are elements. Hurray for sticking with it and for your wonderful work!

I am love your truck in the post before this one!!

Linda Popple said...

I admire your stick- to- itness!! Your photos show a gorgeous area and so does your beautiful painting!!

hmuxo said...

I'm so sorry you had such a challenging day, Celeste!!! BUT I love your sketch! the texture is perfectly done...love it.!

Jani Lori said...

This is a beauty...the color!!!!

Maritza said...

Qué tonalidades más hermosas! Es muy relajante.
Felicito tu pintura,amiga.
Abrazos!