Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Paint-out at Broderick Gallery

Today Carrie, Quin and I painted from Broderick's yard in Rainier. Rainier is about a one hour drive from Portland. There are so many interesting scenes there, right on the river. Once we set up, Quin and I spent a lot of time trying to decide what direction to paint in.  We eventually decided to go with "abbreviated" studies of varied views. The plan is to return to do more resolved paintings in the future. I think we all wound up with 4 or 5 different ideas. It was a great day, punctuated by the jokes and shenanigans of our host, George. At the very end of the day George surprised me by making a gift to me of one of his outstanding paintings...Caratid. (I love representational art, but I am also a genuine fan of George's "distorted hyperbolic reality"). So, YES! Hooray! Caratid goes home with me! (The perfect end to a perfect day).

(Top Photo) Painting study, Stop sign & Yellow House, oil on a quadrant of 12x16 canvas panel
(Bottom Photo) Me, Caratid & George Broderick

Slideshow of the day below and to see what the others did go HERE:

9 comments:

Sheryl Anthony said...

What a day you all had. The slide show is a treat. Great paintings by all!

CrimsonLeaves said...

Truly a fabulous day, Celeste. Looks like so much fun and I think your hair looks fabulous (I'd noticed it before but didn't want to ask since I have a tendency to put my big fat foot in my mouth!) I think you have a wonderful friend in George! Did Dave go along and take photos?

Linda Popple said...

Great day and photos!! Looks like a wonderful place to paint with friends.

David Castillo Starr said...

It's a nice and fresh painting. I see from the slideshwo that a good time was had by all. really great of George to give you one of his paintings.

L.W.Roth, said...

I enjoy seeing how you noted the scene with this quick sketch. Nice to know how you go about getting to the nitty-gritty. I love the hat--and the day does looks like it was an ideal one.

John Simlett said...

I SAAAWWW THE PADDDDLLLEE SSTTTEEAAAMER!

Looks like a great day in a perfect setting with good company ...who could ask for more?

hmuxo said...

Wonderful painting...your slideshow is always such a treat, Celeste!!

hw (hallie) farber said...

Your abbreviated study just glows. What a gift; it actually reminds me of you--the arms over the head look a bit like your straw hat.

Sheryl Anthony said...

what a wonderful day and a Broderick painting too. I am envious!