Sunday, September 23, 2012

Sunday

I am cleaning up my basement studio once more. I guess I have a tendency to get it organized only to fall back into the terrible habit of not putting things back where they belong... Then I have to spend several days "righting" it all again.  Well, I got it about 1/2 way done today and I'll work on it again tomorrow. The photo above is crates of sketchbooks. The crate on the left is of blank sketchbooks and the crate on the right is of completed sketchbooks.

I have always liked saying "The World is Your Oyster". This may explain why I have so many blank sketchbooks...I must have no problem buying one whenever I want, because...hey, The World is My Oyster! I shouldn't have to buy another for awhile. I didn't realize I had so many of them.

This week I got to attend a talk conducted by Michael Lindstrom. The subject was "Expressing Mood in Painting." I've thought about several things that he brought up and it's given me some ideas for what to paint next. Cleaning the studio is a way of clearing the decks to get ready for something new.

When I looked through my completed sketchbooks today I found this apple that I drew in 1990. I did not draw much at all back then so it is pretty cool that I still have this. I definitely can remember where I was when I drew it. Sketchbooks are great!

Here is another page from a sketchbook that I especially like. It is a drawing of Georgia O'Keeffe. When I get my studio all back together it is going to be great for winter. I promise to put things back where they belong more consistently so that I spend less time cleaning/organizing and more time painting. (Do you think Georgia put things back properly?)

10 comments:

Jenny Short said...

If they're all full you won't have a reason to sketch. Always keep some empty. Good for you. xo Jenny

CrimsonLeaves said...

Oh my...to say you inspire would be putting it mildly. To say I'll actually act on being all fired up is another story. LOL Love the apple and the sketch of Georgia is wonderful! I so wish I could draw. I've been practicing for years (admittedly not consistently) and I still can't do it.

Libby Fife said...

I do NOT think she put things back! (She was way too busy:)

Love that you have the possibility of all of those blank books. Kind of a metaphor for life:)

Jane said...

You did some great stuff already back then, love the portrait.

Linda Popple said...

I should clean my studio, too. I go to the studio determined, but get pulled to the easel. I think it's hopeless!

L.W.Roth, said...

No. I would be surprised if any of our kind put things back in order immediately after use. We don't really know when we're finished. There might be more to do.

Nice sketches. Nice to see someone who likes new sketchbooks at much as me. I think it's because we're aiming to fill just one with totally awesome drawings. So far that hasn't happened for me. Good luck with the next one you start.

John Simlett said...

A tidy studio is not a busy studio. When mine was in the 'hutch' (a loft conversion above my workshops) I cleaned it once a year ....if it needed it or not!!

Sheryl Anthony said...

thanks for showing me that it is ok to have lots of sketchbooks, I do!
and what a good drawing of O' Keefe.

mary maxam said...

Wonderful charcoal sketch of Ms. O'Keefe! You are inspiring in the cleaning out phase- I am trying to do the same and not getting very far along!

David Castillo Starr said...

Nice drawing!