Thursday, September 20, 2012

Thursday!

This painting is from my archives. It is from when I first started painting. Back then I took a 3 day workshop with the inimitable Robert Gamblin at the coast. On the first day, after a full day of painting, Gamblin proposed what seemed a crazy idea. He wanted all of us to paint more (in an "extracurricular" way) .....at night! We were staying at a campground and I dutifully did as I was told, painting this at a picnic table in pitch black darkness. I'll always remember how surprised I was looking at it the next day. It seemed very true to the scene. Funny to think that maybe half the success of this was in not being able to see it!

Painting: Celeste Bergin, In the Moonlight, oil on 5x7 canvas panel

13 comments:

John Simlett said...

I have been out of bed for 30 minutes, it's still dark outside ... so your lovely 'moonscape' is almost appropriate ... except it's raining ... again!

nouvelles couleurs - vienna atelier said...

Oh i can See your talent in this early painting of yours, it's such emotional and sweet, well done to post this

art by Michael Perchard said...

Celeste!
Wow!
Great assignment and great painting! I love this piece!
Every day I spend some time star gazing. Tomorrow I will bring my canvas, brush, and paints!
Thanks for posting this great painting!
Take care.
Michael

CrimsonLeaves said...

This piece has the same sense of enveloping comfort I get from the shorter days and longer nights. You've matched that dark blue sky perfectly and how wonderful that you had a full moon to paint by. It is beautiful, Celeste.

Lisa Graham Art said...

It's amazing that you could see enough to mix your paint.

Rosemary said...

I am loving this painting, perfect for the blue moon we just had in August.

Julie Ford Oliver said...

Fabulous - really special.

Linda Popple said...

That dark blue is beautiful and what a great lesson!

L.W.Roth, said...

Amazing. Painting the moon in moonlight. A lovely idea with lovely results. I wish you had shown this sooner. The nights are growing cold around here and picnic tables are being stored away.

Mariano Zucchi said...

Hi Celeste,
it seems a pretty complete oil , with a great expression of umanity. It certenly give merit to Mr.Gamblin advise

SamArtDog said...

This is such a beautiful start to your career. How appropriate.

B Boylan said...

I love nocturnes! They always pose a surprise when viewed in daylight. Thanks for sharing your glowing orb painting. Love it :)

Dan Kent said...

Darned interesting. And a very beautiful painting.