Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Hensche


I visited with Artist friend Jack VanNess this morning. When I asked him what he has been painting lately he answered..."colored wood blocks". Jack is a devotee of Henry Hensche. People who love Hensche do love those colored blocks...and there can be no denying that paintings done in the Hensche method are mondo-sun-drenched.  The painting above is my solitary Hensche-esque attempt...(the concepts don't come easily). For Ed Terpening's great synopsis of a workshop with John Ebersberger, click HERE.

Practice painting: Celeste Bergin, Hensche exercise, oil on 8x8 gessoed wood panel

10 comments:

Julie Ford Oliver said...

Love the sunlight effect, Celeste. You are REALLY good at this method.
I took with Camille about 6 years ago and loved her vibrant personality which matched her use of color.

Mariano Zucchi said...

Hi Celeste,
tks for the link, a good method. You are brave trying that out. Happy painting, Mariano

John Simlett said...

I love the light, shadows and the geometry... it's fun to experiment

CrimsonLeaves said...

Not my favorite type of composition but I sure think you handled light and shadow beautifully, Celeste. And what a lovely palette!

Libby Fife said...

Got it right away! I have a great and lengthy tutorial on Hensche. It's a mind boggler but worth getting through for the concepts.

hmuxo said...

Love all the beautiful colors in this painting, Celeste!!

Celeste Bergin said...

Thanks, Julie, Mariano, John, Sherry, Libby and Hmuxo! I don't think the Hensche method is my cup of tea, but never say never--I may work more in earnest with the method in the future. It is definitely fun to consider all the scads of different ways to apply paint! :) Thanks for your comments! :)

Sheryl Anthony said...

I have a book by Lois Griffel. Your Hensche exercise look sgood to me!

David Castillo Starr said...

you are right, the old paintings from that period are special.

Chris said...

So much fun. I took a class with John Ebersberger and really enjoyed painting the blocks and mudheads. I think it's a great way to see color. Love what you did.