Monday, October 29, 2012

Maxine the cat

Every day I drive across town to pay a visit with Maxine (I have cat-sitting duty). Some days Maxine is friendlier than others. She is an only cat and not used to many people aside from her owner, so I've had to try to convince her that I'm really on her side.  In order to have her get used to me  I sit still and sketch her and things in the room. She mostly sits pretty still too, making it easy to sketch her. Cat duty has actually been a fun and cool excuse to observe and draw without interruption.  Today I painted Maxine in oils (above)....and I think looking at her closely for days worked out well for the painting. Dave G, her owner, won't be back for another week +, so I'll definitely add to my Maxine drawing and painting collection. She is is super-cute...and she loves to get petted and roll around on the floor.

Painting: Celeste Bergin, Maxine rolls around the floor, oil on 11x14 canvas panel

Here is a slideshow of some of my daily sketches:

17 comments:

martinealison said...

Une belle manière d'immortaliser la présence temporaire de Maxine !... Attention que son propriétaire ne réclame pas des droits!! sourire...
De son simple rôle de minou il est devenu une star d'artiste...
gros bisous

CrimsonLeaves said...

Love all the sketches and Maxine looks marvelous in paint. Ah Celeste, if I only could do as you do. Patience, wherefore art thou??? I'll update shortly, I promise!

Libby Fife said...

Slowly but surely, you will win over that cat! Great little painting too:)

Dan Gliubizzi said...

Hi Celeste, I like the sketches. I was thinking as I looked at them about the added benefit of going to "another location" to work. It frees you up from the routine distractions of washers and dryers, etc.

Rosemary said...

If she's rolling around on the floor, that's cat-speak for she feels comfortable with you :) Great job on getting the different shadings of an all-black cat.

hw (hallie) farber said...

Maxine the cat has her own slide show (including litter scooper). Nice painting and I like the sketch of her on the sofa.

L.W.Roth, said...

Well you really got to know Maxine. The painting is great as are all the sketches. Maybe I have to cat sit with Fuz Zy to free up? I like seeing your daily sketches. I do believe I see watercolor there. I don't recall ever seeing watercolor on this site. You're a woman of mystery Celeste.

diffident.bother said...

What a wonderful painting!

Maritza said...

Siempre me ha atraído tu pincelada...ojalá me entiendas qué quiero decir. La forma tuya de utilizar el pincel es muy particular.

El gato es encantador, de verdad...

Mil felicitaciones,Celeste.
Abrazos desde Chile.

Celeste Bergin said...

Maritza wrote:

I've always drawn a stroke ... wish I understand what I mean. The way you use the brush yours is very particular.

The cat is lovely, really ...

A thousand congratulations, Celeste.
Hugs from Chile

(Thanks, Maritza!)

Karen Bruson said...

So strong. Very nice.

Sarah Bachhuber Peroutka said...

Even though I don't like cats, I do like this painting! If I had to have a cat in my house, this is the one I'd choose! I think she looks a little wary....

Julie Ford Oliver said...

Great sketches and painting. I love the very relaxed body you capture. Hope to see some more.

Celeste Bergin said...

Martine wrote:

A beautiful way to immortalize the temporary presence of Maxine! ... Attention than its owner does not claim rights! smile ...
Its simple role kitty became a star artist ...
big kisses

Thanks, Martine!

Sharon Wright said...

Maxine likes you very well...look how she poses in a perfect composition! This painting has everything, it is gorgeous.

Caio Fern said...

the slide show is fantastic.


the painting is wonderful.. it really has a cat's spirit.

Carolyn Rondthaler said...

Adorable cat! She's a great inspiration and how nice of you to spend time with her...not just feed her and leave. I love the composition/layout.