Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Sketching at the Portland Art Museum




The Body Beautiful is a major international touring exhibition currently at the Portland Art Museum. The exhibit features treasures from the British Museum's Greek and Roman collection of sculpture. I went today to check out the works that range from abstract to realism. I took the opportunity to do some sketches. Drawing from a colossal statue under the lovely steady bright lights gave me a full appreciation for why artists have studied sculpture (in artistic training) for centuries. I'm glad I have a Portland Art Museum membership because I'll be able  to return on rainy winter days for more sketching at this fantastic show. It's up until January 6, 2013.

(Top Photo) Sketch: Celeste Bergin, Head from a Statue of Herakles, charcoal in 9x9 sketchbook

7 comments:

CrimsonLeaves said...

I find myself wondering who he is...

I also find drawing three-dimensional objects so difficult! You did a masterful job here and I love the charcoal/black pencil behind the sculpture. Just like the black walls which are just stunning for playing up these beautiful pieces.

Sheryl Anthony said...

Nice drawing, Celeste. Tell me next time you go, I will go with you!

Linda Popple said...

Nice sketch and a wonderful place to do it!

John Simlett said...

You certainly get about and have a lot of fun.

This one is really impressive!

hmuxo said...

Very impressive, Celeste...an excellent sketch!

David Castillo Starr said...

I'm impressed.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

What a wonderful place to do some charcoal studies... and very still models, too.

Lovely job!