Thursday, October 4, 2012

Thursday....!

Lunch and a sketching session with Loretta today! We went to the Stockpot Lounge on the Redtail golf course.
I sketched some diners. I won't be writing home to Mother about this...but it was fun nonetheless. 

Here is a relatively new acquisition, a basket that I am using for sketching supplies. I got this idea from Aimee Erickson. It is great how it sits upright and it can hold lotsa stuff. I got mine at Kruger's Farm.

After lunch I got a tour of Loretta's studio. She also showed me this great painting that was done of her when she was just a tyke. Her parents commissioned the painting in the 1940's and Loretta remembers sitting for the portrait artist for long stretches. We both love the painting and it is remarkable how it is definitely recognizable as Loretta.

The painting is signed M. Burke. Google turned up nothing, but one can easily see that this artist knew what he was doing.

I'm adding this Hallelujah photo at the end of my post, because I thought for sure that my old Toyota car was completely done for today....but no...after I "limped" home from my travels (it wouldn't go over 40 mph)....DAVE fixed it! (sparkplug issue). Thanks, Dave! Hallelujah!

That was my day-----how was yours?

8 comments:

David Castillo Starr said...

why not write home to mother I would! good account of the day. the portrait does look good, shouldn't we see what Lorette looks like now?

David Castillo Starr said...

and glad about car

CrimsonLeaves said...

Oh your day sounds wonderful, even the limping part since it came to a wonderful end. Love Loretta's portrait of herself from when she was little. And? I really like your sketch; I instantly was caught by the great perspective. Stockpot? Oh now that does sound yummy!

martinealison said...

Une publication pleine de vie... J'aime et j'apprécie votre blog garni de belles choses imprévues...
Votre croquis est exquis et très spontané.
Votre visite chez votre amie a certainement un très bon moment de partage. Je pense qu'elle a dû être inspirée par la peinture en posant lorsqu'elle était petite fille. Une jolie toile entre autre !...
Je me réjouis d'apprendre que votre chère "totomobile" (c'est ainsi que nomme les voitures mon petit-fils!)avance encore. Un petit caprice pour attirer votre attention et vous faire comprendre qu'elle existe !!...
gros bisous à vous.

Dan Kent said...

Your mom deserves to know. I think its a pretty cool sketch actually. Fun post. Hallelujah! I've enjoyed your variety of paintings since I last posted. My comment finger (on my phone, because not much computer time of late) has been rather inactive, but I am always here. :)

Dan Kent said...

Your mom deserves to know. I think its a pretty cool sketch actually. Fun post. Hallelujah! I've enjoyed your variety of paintings since I last posted. My comment finger (on my phone, because not much computer time of late) has been rather inactive, but I am always here. :)

Celeste Bergin said...

Martine wrote:

A publication full of life ... I love and appreciate your blog filled with beautiful things unexpected ...
Your sketch is exquisite and very spontaneous.
Your visit your friend certainly has a great time sharing. I think she has been inspired by the painting by asking when she was little girl. A pretty canvas among others! ...
I am glad to hear that your dear "totomobile" (thus named cars my little son!) Still moving. A little fancy to get your attention and make you understand that it exists! ...
Big kisses to you.

(thanks much, Martine!)

Celeste Bergin said...

Thanks David, Sherry, Martine and Dan! Now I'll have a look at what you are painting ! :)