Saturday, November 3, 2012

Saturday!

..... Why not just keep everything you paint? I'll tell you why, it's an energy drain to have scads of mediocre paintings just taking up space.  It's been time consuming to sort through 100's of efforts, making decisions about what to deep-six and what to keep, but I'm pleased to report that I am 3/4's of the way through the project and I'll be finished tomorrow. (I've started this project several times and this time I am going to see it through). The painting above is one I'll keep. I painted it at Crystal Springs. There is a lot about it that makes no real sense, but something enigmatic about it demanded ........"keep". 

(Top Photo) Painting: Celeste Bergin, The pond through the trees (at Crystal Springs), oil on 8x8 canvas panel
(Bottom) Some of my endless stacks of practice paintings

10 comments:

Mayra Mancebo said...

I really love this works that i look, there on the floor.
I think you that you should keep all of your pictures, sometimes I say ... the pictures do i not sell, What I'm going to do with so many?.
Because I practice to, but I will not get rid of any, only if I going to sell, or i give a gift to someone who i appreciate.

CrimsonLeaves said...

Hope those practice paintings are all keep. From what I can see, they are lovely. This piece does make one want to walk through the dark forest to see that gorgeous river.

Pam Holnback said...

I would definately call this a keeper! I love the sky holes.

Kevin Neal said...

One test to use...If it passes the postage stamp test, it is probably a keep. That is, if it looks good in the little icon for your blog. This one passed. Oh, also it has to look good when expanded as well.

L.W.Roth, said...

This painting reminds me of a painting I did of a pond seen through the trees. Now I have to go dig it out. You've given me a measuring stick. This one is nice and loose and the colors are good. I'm wondering if mine has such life?

Julie Ford Oliver said...

I agree with keeping this one, Celeste. It has the freshness of an honest plein-air painting. Always a keeper.
The trouble I run into is as I grown in knowledge about my art, I find more to throw out.
I sometimes paint three to find one that gets on my blog. At least now they more often and not - wipers!

hw (hallie) farber said...

I need to follow your example. This is definitely a keeper and I loved Sunset.

It's been fun watching Maxine warm up to you.

Chris said...

Will you paint over the ones you chose not to keep or gesso? If you gesso, could you post about your sanding and gesso process. Even when I use an electric sander, I still can't get a lot of the heavy applications of paint off and think I must be missing something in how to do that.

Sheryl Anthony said...

Keeper!

Randall David Tipton said...

I agree Celeste, that pond is a good one.