Sunday, November 4, 2012

Sunday!

This painting is from quite awhile ago. It's a copy of an old master and I did not note the artist.  Maybe you can tell me. I remember I used only ultramarine blue, raw umber and white.

I like everything about this figure, how he is taking a step and how you can see just a bit of his face....I especially like that you can see his dog behind him. The figure is carrying a basket of food, or grain or something. .... I like the bold dark shapes.

Study, Celeste Bergin, Man carrying a basket, copy of a master painting, oil on 6x12 canvas panel

7 comments:

Casey Klahn said...

I think of Millet or van Gogh. Very nicely done!

CrimsonLeaves said...

Oh I love everything about this painting too, Celeste. I love the minimal palette. Somehow it lends strength to this man. It is gorgeous; I noted the dog right away. I wouldn't have a clue as to the original artist. The only name that comes to mind is Remington but this isn't like his compositions at all. I'm sure someone will come up with the original artist though!

Caio Fern said...

well.. copy or not it is a very good painting.
I don't know what old master you are talking about but it looks like Billy Childsh's paintings.

art by Michael Perchard said...

Hello Celeste!
I love this man! I love the way you "scumbled" or layered the paint. A great sense of mystery and atmosphere. Love the tones and colors.
Thanks for posting this one.
Take care.
Michael

L.W.Roth, said...

I like this. It does look like Millet more than Van Gogh--Van Gogh often used line to define his figures. Are you still sorting out keep/trash? Ellis and I decided keep all. It is nice to see where you've been. Let someone else decide what's good and what's bad. We all know that all of it is good.

Sheryl Anthony said...

I bet this is a Millet. I must remember those three colors for when I want to try something like this.

Celeste Bergin said...

Thank you Casey, Sherry, Caio, Michael, LW, and Sheryl..I appreciate your comments very much :)