Sunday, November 18, 2012

Sunday!

This snow scene is about 75% finished.  The small spots of snow make a good contrast against the big shapes. Will it find it's way into a frame? We'll see. 

In the afternoon Stephanie and I went to an open session ar Craig Srebnik's studio. He showed us his method of gluing canvas to boards and discussed some of our paintings with us. Craig says things that stick with you. "Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story." (...it's often a good idea to change things from how they are.....for the sake of the painting). 


(Top Photo) Painting: Celeste Bergin, Snowfall, oil on 8x8 canvas panel
(Bottom Photo) Marvin and Craig discuss gluing canvas to panels

11 comments:

art by Michael Perchard said...

Good morning Celeste!
Frame it! Sign it! Enjoy it!
Love the painting! Love the rough cold look you achieved with you brush strokes and palette!
I also love snow! Bring it on!
Take care.
Michael

CrimsonLeaves said...

I am loving the watercolor paper glued to boards that I've seen out there. And they take a gloss varnish finish beautifully, at least as I've seen on my own pieces. I'd love to figure out how to glue them to the wood panels and be assured that they will not come away over time.

Anyway, I really love this snow scene. I find myself imagining the places in Oregon where you saw these landscapes and it always makes me miss it up there.

Jean said...

C'est déja très beau même si ce n'est pas terminé !

Jenny Short said...

I love this painting and think it is finished. I hear you are having extreme weather these days. Happy Thanksgiving. xo Jenny

Julie Ford Oliver said...

Gorgeous - you are really getting in to the tonal school with some of these last stunning landscapes. You have a way of getting your own look into them and keeping an emotional quality. great stuff and a pleasure to see.

Do you like the work of George Inness? (1825 - 1894)

hw (hallie) farber said...

Such great colors--a quiet, cold place. Beautiful.

Helen Moreda said...

Julie was so right. Beautiful dark pattern, beautiful lost and found edges. Quiet strength. Lovely painting.

John Simlett said...

Just love this snow scene - dramatic and atmospheric. Another CC (Celeste Classic)

hmuxo said...

I LOVE this snow painting, Celeste..it looks pretty finished to me... Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Bonnie Heather said...

I really like the feeling of you painting so far, very dramatic. I look forward to seeing it finished.

Dan Kent said...

I love the large shapes in this wip, and the cool colors. I hope all is well with you after today's storms.