Thursday, November 15, 2012

Thursday, Art-Art-Art

This morning I went to our art discussion breakfast meeting. We talked about all sorts of things...and we showed work that we've done recently. (To see the art we brought, go HERE). This afternoon I watched a program about the movie "The Life of Pi". It reminded me that I have painted a couple of tigers.  Tigers can be considered a kitschy subject...and though I signed this,  I later determined that it's not good enough for a frame. I kept it despite the throw away project. What moved it almost out of kitschy territory was the use of purple and blue, but almost only counts in horseshoes! (not sure what I'll do with the tiger, but it did escape the trash can).

The evening brought another art meeting of The Columbia River Art Group. A lot of the talk centered around framing. What did we decide? Traditional or contemporary frames can significantly change the overall attitude of the painting. 

That was my Thursday.......did you have an artful day?

(Top Photo) Painting: Celeste Bergin, Tiger, oil on 9x12 canvas panel
(Bottom Photo) Michael and Nila discussing frames

8 comments:

CrimsonLeaves said...

Celeste, I can honestly say that this is the best of all the tiger paintings I've seen on the artists' blogs. And I've seen some brilliant pieces. What makes this piece different? Something with the eyes. I think they are the most realistic I've seen. I also love the blurred out edges. I've not ever purchased an animal painting unless it is of one of my own pets, though I couldn't tell you why. Maybe it is the kitsch factor you mentioned or maybe it is because I don't decorate (and I use that term loosely) with animal prints or jungle themes. But I really do think this is brilliant.

Libby Fife said...

The poor tiger paintings-much maligned! LOL!

Had a lovely but non art related Thursday. I wanted to mention too that I really like the birches painting. Very peaceful looking.

hmuxo said...

This Tiger is wonderful, Celeste! So "artsy"...love the colors especially the purples!!!!

Julie Ford Oliver said...

I have a big grin on my face....kitschy? I cannot imagine YOU doing anything like that and it never occurred to me that a lion could be kitschy so I must have the wrong meaning in my head.
Surely the powerful, confident way this is painted takes it out of that category ?
You are so lucky to have had a great art day like that. Positive group feedback is uplifting.

Linda Popple said...

Good tiger .... glad it escaped the scrap bin!

My Thursday was another "wipe out" day. :( Been struggling lately, but just keeping at it! :)

Pam Holnback said...

Don't think that you should be speaking negatively about this guy! He's got great appeal and great colors!

-Don said...

I guess I just got off the kitsch train, having just finished my 2nd tiger this year during my artful Friday. ;-)

I like the blues and purples in your fuzzy guy. They compliment the oranges nicely.

As for kitsch, isn't it a matter of intent, not specifically determined by the subject matter?

-Don

art by Michael Perchard said...

Great work on the tiger Celeste! I love tigers. You captured the colors magnificently.
Love your blog. The art of course and your comments together want me to come back over and over again!
Take care.
Michael